Chapter One

It had been a month since Teddy's death and Billy hadn't felt any better. He walked down the crowded hallway on the first day of school, looking around, all he could think about was Teddy. What he would be doing and who he would be hanging out with. He passed Teddy's locker and almost broke down in tears. No one would have cared, in their minds him and Teddy were just friends.

He was stuck staring for a few moments before some kid, around his age, opened it. The kid looked nothing like Teddy, he was scrawny, had dark brown messy hair, and Latino. He had on an oversized varsity jacket with the name Pierce on the back. Billy assumed it was his last name, shook his head and kept moving.

Billy somehow found himself in homeroom, forgetting how he got there, all he had on his mind was Teddy, just like always. He spent every waking and sleeping moment thinking about Teddy. How he missed Teddy, how he wanted Teddy's arms around him again because that was the best he'd felt since his parents died. He felt like he had a curse. First his brother, from a freak accident while crossing the road, then his mom from cancer, his dad from a brain tumor, and now Teddy.

***

That day for Billy, took too long but also didn't take enough time. He did figured out the kid who stole Teddy's locker's name, Kristoff Pierce. Billy had to admit, it was a weird name. Of course, his first thought was Kristoff from Frozen, Billy instantly knew he was gonna get bullied for that. He kind of felt bad for the kid.

He walked home that day, a two-hour stack of homework and praying that somehow there'd be a snow day in August. He knew it wouldn't happen and looked at the ground, kicking a few pebbles. On a normal day, he'd be walking with Teddy or on his skateboard, speeding through town.

On his walk, Billy realized something, Since when does somebody move into Westview? in his sixteen years on the planet and more specifically Westview, no one had ever moved into or out of the small conservative town.

Billy decided to make it his mission to figure out the Kristoff Peirce kid. He trudged up to his room, ignoring his godmother, Agnus on the way. Once up, he threw his bag on his bed and sitting in the tattered blue office chair at his desk. He turned on his dad's old 2010 Desktop and opened google.

He tried several searches but found nothing about a 'Kristoff Peirce' or a 'Kit Peirce'. After trying for around twenty minutes to find an answer he gave up. The kid didn't have an Instagram, a Twitter, a TikTok, hell, he didn't have a Tumblr. Billy groaned and pushed his keyboard, then sliding his hands onto the side of the desk and pushing back. He rolled off the mat and almost fell, "GAH!"

"EVERYTHING ALRIGHT UP THERE?" Agnes yelled.

When Billy got his bearings he gulped and called back, "YUP! ALL GOOD!"

"OKAY!" She laughed a little after that and went back to what she was doing, going silent again.

Billy sighed and got on his bed. He pulled his math homework out of his book bag and looked at the picture of him and Teddy at the fair in 2015 on his dresser. They were just fourteen at the time, hardly knowing anything about themselves. He got up and grabbed the framed picture. He gazed into Teddy's eyes, wondering what the blonde one was thinking at that moment. He thought about the events after that picture, the hand holding on the Ferris wheel, him jumping into Teddy and knocking him over a few times whenever a clown passed, and the kiss. The kiss on the bridge when the fireworks were going off. Billy would remember that moment for decades, how could he forget? It was a small light in all the darkness he encountered that year, with his brother and mother's untimely deaths.

The town would have considered it scandalous if they had seen it, but Billy and Teddy considered it magical and a little rebellious. In the six years they were dating nobody found out. Not his brother, not his mother, not his dad, and not Agnes. He wasn't sure how Agnes would react if she found out. She probably wouldn't care but the rest of the town would have cast them out and that was the last thing Billy needed.

He put the picture back down and sat on his bed again, actually getting his homework done.

---Author's Note---
I promise the entire book won't be Billy mopeing over Teddy but it kinda had to be established he's upset about it. Also. He doesn't have powers. Also I know this is bad but it gets better I swear!
---Author's Note---