Chapter Five

Billy felt like flying, his brain was riddled with adrenaline and excitement. Kit noticed this because he was giggling like a schoolgirl, at one point Kit put in an earbud and handed the other to Billy, "You are so awkward." he said when Billy took it. Now practically connected to Kit through a couple wires Billy smiled more than he already was. His heart pounded like a war drum as the song, 'You May Be Right' by Billy Joel played in one of his ears. 

"So..." Billy said and nudged Kit, the backpacks crashing together and Billy heard a small clink in Kit's but didn't say anything, "Where are you taking me?"

"To a volcano." Kit shrugged and Billy believed him for a second before snapping back to reality. Kit laughed when he saw Billy's confused expression, "No. I'm taking you to a mountain..."

"There are mountains?" Billy asked, excitement riddling his voice.

"Yup." he popped the 'p', "It's a small one but a mountain none-the-less...found it the other day...oh!" he pointed to a tree covered mound in front of them, "there it is!"

"Kit."  Billy said, "That is just a hill with trees on it."

"Well it's not mount fucking everest if that's what you wanted." Kit quipped back and Billy found it kind of cute. He pushed those thoughts out of his head. On one hand he knew he was supposed to be mourning over Teddy. Not going on a not mountain with the kid from his history project. But on the other Kit was one of the cutest people Billy had ever met. Teddy was hot. He was a buff football player and Kit was this small, scrawny, mexican boy with a mid-wester/southern sounding accent, who listened to eighties hits, how could he not fall for that?

By the time they hit the small summit of the mountain Billy was out of breath. 

//TW: Underage drinking for the rest of the chapter//

"Pussy." Kit laughed and sat on the little ledge that overlooked the valley and the town. He pulled his knees up a bit and looked back at Billy who sat next to him and outstretched his legs. Kit reached into his bag and grabbed something, "I know it's like...eight in the morning... but want a beer?"

Billy raised an eyebrow, "How'd you get those?" he asked as Kit handed him one.

"Dad's an alcoholic'' he paused, "and before you say anything, no. I don't do drugs and no. I can't make you a margarita." Kit stated, opening his with a beer cap opener, throwing the cap into his bag and doing the same to Billy's.

"That something you get asked a lot?" Billy asked him, taking his bottle back and trying his first sip of beer. He spat it out instantly and while wiping his mouth yelled, "How do you drink this stuff!"

Kit laughed and took a swig of his, "You get used to it after a while...both." he set his forearm on his knee and held the bottle by the neck in between his legs. By this time Billy had given Kit his earbud back and they were just chilling in silence, until Billy broke it.

"So...I- I recognized your number from somewhere and- like- I'm-"

"It's a song. 867-5309...yeah...my ex used to call me Jenny." Kit mumbled and sipped at his beer again. 

"Ex?"

"Yeah...Ex...died last year..."

"Oh- I'm sorry." Billy touched his shoulder lightly like Agnus did whenever he was upset but Kit flinched away.

"It's fine...honestly..I have like a curse or some shit because...everyone I- everyone I love like...dies...ya know?" Kit looked out at the town, "Why am I telling you this? You don't care."

Billy was staring at Kit in astonishment, "What? No! I- I get it."

Kit wiped his head around, "You do?" he asked, clearly unsure how else to respond and regretting how cliche he sounded. 

"Yeah! I- My ex died last month..." Billy said and turned to look down, "and...and my dad died 2 years ago because of a brain tumor...and my mom three years ago because of cancer and a few months before that my twin brother commited suicide." He glanced at Kit who was gaping and trying to say something but failing, "It's...it's not a big deal..." Billy told him and sipped at the beer again, not spitting it out this time but cringing at the bitter flavour.

"What? No...you- are you alright?" Kit asked, grabbing Billy's grey sweatshirt's sleeve. Billy looked down at his hand.

"No. I'm not okay." He just about broke into tears but looked away and took another sip of his beer, "But it isn't about me so you shouldn't worry about it."

Kit ignored what he said and asked a hard question, "How did your ex die?" he realized what he said and looked away as well, "Sorry! Sorry! I shouldn’t have asked."

"No. It's fine..." Billy said, "He- he was killed. I-I don't...I don't know who but he- yeah..."

Kit nodded and Billy was surprised he didn't comment on the fact his ex was a boy, he figured he must've been from somewhere progressive. Kit held his beer up, "Well then...cheers to dead boyfriends." Billy, kind of struck back from 'dead boyfriends' lightly tapped his bottle to Kit's.

"To dead boyfriends."

---Author's Note---
Don't worry guys, Kit is not an alcoholic...
---Autor's Note---