Chapter 9

Rory didn't know what to believe at that moment that she found herself in front of Harley again. And even though the reason as to why he was at the apartment complex she lived in seemed so obvious, she had a hard time admitting it to herself.

"What are you doing here? How'd you find out where I live?" She didn't hesitate to begin hounding him with questions. A character completely out of the ordinary for her. Even Harley, who only knew very little of her, furrowed his brows.

"I didn't."

" Yeah sure," she scoffed. "That's why you're suddenly at my apartment building."

"You are conceited," he rolled his eyes. He went up to the glass door and began to type in the code to the mailing room.

Watching as the door granted him access, she almost melted. "You live here now?"

Harley had his back turned to her. He checked his mailbox, pulling out a couple of envelopes. "Sorry, I'm in my lonesome little world right now and you're intruding." He turned to glance at her shocked expression and glared. "Look if I knew you lived here I would've picked some other place. I'm sure you're already overthinking this incident and trying to dig deep, but it isn't. So do us both a favor, and let's mind our own business alright?"

He made his way past her, leaving her all alone in the mailing room. She turned back in the direction of the elevators, repeatedly pressing the elevator button as if it'd move faster if she did. Harley was silent beside her. They reached the third floor when they both decided to step out.

"What room are you in?" It was too much of a coincidence for them to share the same floor.

She heard him mutter something under his breath. Under different circumstances, she would have shied away. She would have panicked and run into the apartment as quickly as possible. She huffed knowing he'd ignored her.

The fact that they were both going in the same direction did not make her feel any better.

She pulled out her keys to her apartment. The same jangling sounds happening behind her. He peeked behind her, seeing only Harley's back and the closing of his door. His apartment was right across from her. She didn't dare question it, and ran inside, seeking the comfort of her own space. She practically threw herself onto her bed.

"What had just happened," she thought to herself. She flipped herself over and stared at the ceiling.

She thought he left. She clenched her chest, an overwhelming feeling creating an uncomfortable sensation within her. She felt like she couldn't breathe. Her heart was racing. Finally, she popped into the shower, letting the warm steamy water calm her.

She turned off the water and stepped out. As the water droplets fell from her hair, she didn't even stop them. She only wrapped herself in a towel, her mind trapping her in her thoughts.

What was wrong with her? Why did she just assume he followed her? How embarrassing. She made herself out to be a complete fool making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. Now, she'd have to face them whenever they ran into each other again. She couldn't dare look him in the eyes after what had happened.

She burned herself as she cooked. Pulling back, she grimaced. "Damn," she whispered.

She was turning into a mess. She didn't even have much of an appetite anymore. Nonetheless, she finished cooking and set it aside. Maybe she'd eat later. If only her thoughts would let her take a breath.

She sat on the couch, her legs against her chest and her head resting on them. All she could do at that moment is shut her heavy eyes and think.

She had a lot to think about.