Chapter 30

Edmond looked irritated and avoided Charlotte's angry glances. His shoulders were tense, and it was obvious the girls weren't welcome. The girl beside him, however, looked nervous and stood quietly with her head down.

Rory felt bad for her. It wasn't the girl's fault for being roped into the situation. In some ways, she could understand her. She was a petite girl with a small frame. With short curly blonde hair and a sundress. Her brown eyes were calm and polite. She didn't seem to be one for confrontation.

"What is this?" Edmond stared at Charlotte with utter disappointment. "You really can't leave me alone?"

Charlotte, though, was fuming with anger. "Cut the crap, Edmond. Why haven't you answered any of my texts or calls? Do you know how worried I've been?"

"Have you?" Edmond ridiculed. "Because for a long time I hardly thought you gave a damn. After all, you are the successful one. I'm just your lapdog."

"Edmond, don't be ridiculous." Charlotte's eyes softened. "You're so selfish!"

"That's funny coming from you. You've never even stopped to consider why I wanted to go with you. You always jump to conclusions and I'm sick of it. Do whatever you want, you don't need me."

"I'll always need you."

Rory knew it wouldn't be good when she saw Edmond's face grow with frustration and anger. It was obvious he was holding back what he wanted to say.

"I don't care." He gave her a cold shoulder. "Find someone else. I won't be with you forever, you know. I have my own life to live and I can't keep riding along watching you live yours. Have fun in New York. I'm happy for you. I know you will find all the happiness you need."

Charlotte stood still.

"Sorry about that, Nora," he grabbed the girl's hand. "Let's go somewhere else."

Rory observed Charlotte, worried about how she would react. She had her face hidden by her faded pink hair. She resembled a ghost that appeared in place of the person who was once there.

"Maybe we should go too," Rory offered.

Charlotte nodded without showing much of her face. Rory took the lead and grabbed her wrist to lead her out, catching no more attention from customers who no longer peered their way.

Charlotte was as silent as a stone. She no longer seemed interested in walking around. She kept spacing out at the ground with her hands clasped behind her back. So Rory walked them to the bus stop and ended their day out. It was in their best interest.

On their way to the bus stop, Charlotte lagged behind Rory. Every so often, Rory glimpsed behind her to ensure Charlotte was following. At one point, she looked back and swore she saw Charlotte wiping her tears. So Rory stopped walking.

"Oh Charlotte, it's alright," Rory comforted her teary-eyed friend, giving her a much-needed hug.

"Ugh I'm so sorry," Charlotte sniffles. "I feel so stupid crying here in public. And I feel even more stupid for making a fool out of myself."

"You were angry," Rory reminded her. "And rightfully so. He hadn't responded to you at all. That's enough to make anyone worried sick."

"She's so pretty as well," Charlotte continued to wipe her stray tears. "I feel so bad."

Rory placed an arm around Charlotte to comfort her as they sat down on a bench to wait for the next bus.

"Don't feel bad," Rory said, taking time to stretch out her legs. "You're entitled to your emotions. I'm sure that the girl feels just as bad as you."