Chapter 27

It was the day Rory did not know what to expect. Her heart pounded with excitement when she rolled out of bed to get dressed. Assuming they would go out and spend the day together, she wanted to look nice. So naturally, she put on her brown pants and a blue turtleneck sweater and brown coat and boots to meet Harley, who was patiently waiting for her in the kitchen. His dark hair was unkempt as usual, but today he wore a white knitted jumper and black trousers and his grey trench coat that was draped over the bag of the chair where he sat.

He finally turned around to look at her and when he did, his playful eyes kept glancing all over her. Shyly, she looked away with a huff. He knew what he had done once he got up from where he sat and put on his coat with a smirk on his face.

"Anywhere special, you'd like to go?"

Rory pressed her lips together. "I want to go to the park and maybe into town if you're not too cold."

"Me, cold?" He barked scornfully. He swiftly reached out to grab her hand. "If I get cold, I guess I'll just have to hold on to you." He whispered in her ear.

Rory quickly stepped forward towards the door before he could see her reddened face. But something told her he already saw it by the smug look on his face.

It was an official snow day, which meant kids stayed home from school to go out to play whilst the snow stayed fresh. Plows and cheerful people occupied the roads. The excitement was in the air because of the first snow of the season. It was a tradition in the town to take the day off for the first snowfall. All her professors canceled classes, as did Harley's.

The weather was a wonderful excuse for a day off.

"It's so beautiful," Rory admired.

"Yeah, until it gets all brown and mushy." Harley didn't want to admit he was freezing under all his warm clothes. He had his hands hidden in his coat and his body was stiff.

"Are you alright?" Rory stopped them.

"Yeah." He mumbled, staring at a group of middle schoolers who were having a snowball fight.

Rory took his distraction as an opportunity to place her warm hands against his rosy cheeks. Standing on her toes, she placed a quick kiss onto his nose, which was also red from the cold.

"We can go back. I don't mind spending the day indoors if it means being with you." Had she known he despised the cold, she wouldn't have asked him to come out with her. Although something was charming about the way he'd prefer to be with her despite the cold.

Harley couldn't contain the fluster that he somehow disguised with his stubbornness. "And not go around the town after we've come this far? No way. We walked through the park, so now we are going to wander around just like we planned."

Their adventure sent them to different random shops. Some with clothes, others with plants, and some with souvenirs. It surprised Rory to see how curious and involved Harley was with her shopping. She just always assumed he'd probably hate it. He wasn't even shopping. He just seemed like he was happy to be there.

They ended up at Otto's for a hot chocolate, one of his specialties. Harley grabbed his cup and breathed in the steam from the hot drink. "Finally."

Rory smirked. Sometimes Harley resembled a child, with his red nose and cheeks and ebullient demeanor. It was an entirely different side to him. It warmed her heart entirely.

"I see the lovely couple is enjoying my hot chocolate." Otto appeared, also in high spirits.

Now it was Rory who felt her face flush. It wasn't like she and Harley had talked about it, but she assumed maybe they were a couple. After everything, it was only safe to assume, but when she looked at Harley, he didn't react or even acknowledge it. Beneath the table, Rory fiddled with her fingers.