Chapter 14: Mommy Mode

I sat in the car, breathing heavily. I needed water. I dared to look out my window, and could see Cody approaching me.

Should I drive away?

It was too late, he was at my window, his eyes fixed on me.

"Aurora! Come on. Can we just talk like civilized people?" He asked, his voice muffled through the glass.

I looked down at my sweaty, clammy hands. It was stuffy and claustrophobic in the car anyways, so I reluctantly reached for the handle, opening the door. He stepped back, and I got out, leaning against the car, feeling confused.

"You have to stop running off on me." He laughed in a frustrated way. I knew that he was irritated with me.

I looked back up at him, fearing that I would succumb to his beauty. How had such an attractive man fallen for me? It just didn't make sense.

"You know, it's the only thing I really know." I gave another frustrated laugh in return.

"Can you at least give me one reason why you won't let me kiss you?" He growled.

I started to speak before he cut me off.

"Besides the fact that I'm a player."
He cut in.

"That is my reason."

And Ryan. Ryan was a major factor as well.

I continued to speak.

"If we were to get involved, what's to say you won't just get what you want and then get bored? Like every other girl you've been with."

He scoffed, his hands now rested on my car, as he turned to face me.

"Get what I want? Aurora- I want you. I could never get bored of you."

Those words, "I want you" echoed throughout my consciousness.

He reached out his hand, intertwining out fingers together.

"I'm not sure what you want." I shook my head, and bit my lip.

"Come on, that's not a good enough excuse."

"Then I don't know what to tell you." I replied shyly, in a quiet tone.

"I think I know what it is." He stated.

"Oh yeah?"

"You have a hard time denying the truth. You can't handle the fact that you like me. That you want me too."

I wondered if he noticed how sweaty my hands were.

"Or maybe...you're just not used to rejection." I remarked.

He just stood there, taking my truthful words in.

"What makes you think I've never been rejected?" A smirk appeared.

I scoffed.

Was he that blind?

"Hello? You're a gorgeous hockey player and a painter. What girl wouldn't want you?" I looked down at our hands.

"Apparently you. And you're the only girl who knows I paint." He took his free hand, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

My heart was thumping out of my chest, my breaths uneven and jagged.

"I need to go to work." I let go of his grip, sliding into the car.

This time he didn't yell after me, and I floored it out of the place.