Chapter 37: Treasure Trove

*Updated finally! (Please excuse minor grammatical errors. I will be fixing them when I have time) As per usual, PLEASE vote/comment!! Thanks lovelies :)

Chapter 37: Treasure Trove

    A week was gone in the blink of an eye following Drew's calling hours. It was a long week, full of grief. I couldn't imagine what his parents, brother, and Cody was going through. I barely brushed the surface in getting to know the boy and already felt a deep connection with him. To those who knew him, knew him to the deepest part of the ocean. He was a treasure trove in the sparkling sea. He would be remembered, and cherished forever.

It had been decided by his family, Cody, and I, that he would be cremated and flown to Alaska to the land of Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights.

    O'Hare International Airport was buzzing, as businessmen, travelers, and bouts of people flooded through the hallways and crammed gift shops.
Cody and I were in line for some well needed caffeine before the long, five hour flight to Fairbanks, Alaska.
Cody tried being cheerful around me the past week, but I could see right through his mask. His loss of words and silence was the first indication he was having a tough time dealing. He spent long hours after hockey games and practices, skating until his skin was beat red and sweat dripped down his face. I came and watched him one day, as he just kept skating and skating until I thought he would go crashing into the boards.
But he didn't.
He kept skating his thoughts away.
As for me, I tried the best I could to stay strong for Cody. The last thing he needed was a sobbing girl to pull him out of misery. I knew it was tough on the both of us, but I didn't want it to be unbearable. So, I tried the best I could. Sure, I had my number of isolated, silent sobs. But, that was on my own time. It was healthy and okay. And I would get through it all- because that is was Drew would have wanted.
As for my Chicago Sun interview, I had to call and declare my circumstances. To my surprise, they rescheduled for a week later, but I knew what that meant. They were genuinely sorry for my loss, but there were plenty other candidates to choose from who would be prompt. I wouldn't make the cut.

"I'll have a French vanilla large coffee. Two sugars please." Cody had his hands shoved in his pockets, looking up at the menu, before turning to me, snapping me from my zone.
"Uh, the same for me." I gave a weak smile. I could feel Cody's eyes on me.

   After the long, turbulent plane ride, Drew's family, Cody, and I filed off the plane, and onto the cold, Alaskan ground. I inhaled a fresh, unfamiliar scent. I couldn't recall the last time I escaped the city life, for I forgot what smog-free air felt like. As my lungs filled with a fresh coolness, and wind whipped through my hair, all of us staggered into two cabs that waited along the parkway.

I followed Cody to a smaller cab, and everyone else went into the SUV.

"We'll see you at the hotel," Mrs. Donner waved, and they pulled out before us.

"After you," Cody looked down at me, his jaw tense.

What was he thinking right now?

Sluggishly, I slid into the cab and Cody followed.

The silence was almost paralyzing. I didn't know how much longer I could bear it.

"Are you alright?" I choked after a small infinity, the words fragile and raw.

Well, that was a stupid question.

Cody's eyes pierced into mine, his face seemingly emotionless.