Chapter 21: Paparazzi

I was rested on his lap now, kissing his spearmint lips. It was such an exhilarating sensation.

"Sorry, I just can't help myself." Cody growled as he pulled back from our kiss, his eyes shifted towards the ice. His hand rested on the back of my neck, and he placed me off his lap to sit next to him.

"It's okay." I replied, intertwining my fingers together with anticipation. Cody's expression was unreadable, but I could tell he was deep in thought.

"Hey, what is it?" I asked with apprehension.

He turned his head in my direction, his eyes shifted downwards. This time I could tell something was wrong. His eyes met mine, and he released his grip on me, raising his hand to his ear, pulling something out.

At first, I couldn't make out the small object in his hand, but I soon realized what it was. It was a small earpiece.

"What the hell is that?" I laughed, thinking of the many possibilities. Top secret agent was the first notion that popped into my mind.

"Oh no. This is the part where you tell me you're a spy or something, isn't it?" I gave a nervous laugh.

He clasped his hand around it, knuckles turning white. Something wasn't right, as anxiety washed over me.

"Not exactly." He replied in a menacing tone, before I heard a burst of static coming from the earpiece.

"What exactly are you saying?" I asked in a tenacious manner, now serious.

"I can't do this anymore, it's not right." He threw the shattered earpiece on the bleacher floor. Before I had the chance to respond, a crowd of people rushed up the bleachers, cameras in hand.

I looked at Cody, who now stood, advancing to them.

"You made a deal." A middle aged woman spoke, her eyes wild.

"What's going on?" I stood up, looking around at the paparazzi that gathered around us. The head lady had a hand on her hip, glaring at Cody.

Cody was running his fingers through his hair, looking the most nervous I had ever seen him.

His eyes met mine, and he let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry Aurora. I didn't want any of this to happen. I shouldn't have gone through with this." He looked back at the lady. If looks could kill, Cody would be a dead man.

"With what?" I gasped, my voice cracking.

The lady stepped forward, a wicked smile prevailing.

"Your boyfriend here had a deal with us. If he gave us something good for the papers, we'd finally leave him alone. Don't screw this up hun." She spoke with venomous rage.

I was completely and utterly shocked.

Cody had used me for the paparazzi? Was any of this real?

Cody looked at me, his jaw clenched. He held out his hand, but I stumbled backwards, my breathing jagged.
I caught myself on the bench and sat down.

Cody came over to me, kneeling down in front of me.

"Just let me explain. Forget about them." He spoke, his tone serious.

I couldn't make eye contact with him. He had made me out as a fool.

"Hey, look at me." Cody pleaded.

"What was I thinking?" I spoke now, anger boiling inside of me.

I looked up at him now, my temperature rising.