Chapter 29: Starstruck

The teams were warming up, and I craned my neck over the sea of crowded people on the bleachers. It was packed, I couldn't believe the turnout these guys got. Adrenaline-pumping music blasted through the air, as loyal fans held up posters and screamed on the top of their lungs. Hockey at the college was a sacred ordeal, not to be taken lightly.

I couldn't help but notice a fan club of college girls siting near the glass, holding up posters. A majority of them read "Go Cody, #18!", and for some reason, I felt uneasy at that. Was I being jealous? That was a first for me.

I managed to squeeze myself on the end of the bleachers, next to a man who wore a white teeshirt with the image of Sheldon, a defenseman on the team. I came to memorize most of the names of the players whilst on my assignment.

"Aurora Jenner, the journalist right? I saw you interviewing the guys a couple weeks ago." The man turned to me, holding out his hand. As I reached out to grab it, his wife next to him also turned to me, casting an enthusiastic smile.

"Our son told us about the article, I think that's great! It's about time this team gets the recognition they deserve." She nodded.

"Nice to meet you. It was a honor to work with them, honestly." I shook their hands.

While talking with them about the article, I felt a knot in my stomach. In a way, I was lying to them. The article was cold now, probably never to be run. I was hit with the realization that I let down the team, and most importantly, Drew.

As the game started, I remembered my high spirits, willing myself to keep them. For now, I only wanted to focus on one thing.

I remembered Cody's number, 18. There was a certain distinction to the way he skated and held his head. He had this amazing confidence and talent when he played hockey. Truth be told, I was starstruck. He scored the first goal of the game on a breakaway, his teammates piling around him to hug him afterwards. I always found it humorous to the way hockey players hugged each other after scoring. They seemed so macho and rugged while playing and getting into fights, until they scored and turned into excited, happy boys.

For the entire game, my eyes followed Cody. I was drawn in to his movements. When the game came to an end, I got up, urging myself to go see him before he disappeared into the locker room. I needed to see him, I wanted to see him. The feeling I had inside was incorrigible, for I knew I couldn't stay away.

I hurried down to the hallway, hoping to catch him before he went inside. To my relief, a line of sweaty, loud hockey players made their way down the hallway, and I smiled.

"Hey, Cody! Looks like someone's here to see you." Vinnie smirked.

I blushed, waving to the guys. Cody was in the back, talking to someone before he looked up.

"Who-" he started before his eyes met mine. At first he looked astonished, but he smiled, moving off to the side on his skates. I was amazed at how much taller he was than me now, as he looked down at me with a smirk.

"I knew you couldn't stay away." He read my thoughts.

It took me a moment to process his after-hockey "look." He had an intensity in his eyes, sweaty hair, and flushed red cheeks. It was sexy.

I realized I was speechless, as the rest of the men filed into the locker room, leaving Cody and I alone.

"Did you watch the whole game?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "I didn't see you."

"Yeah, I sat next to Sheldon's parents. They're really nice. Congrats on winning."

He nodded, shaking his hair. My stomach did summersaults at the motion. He must have noticed the effect that had on me, for his eyes held a mischievous glint to them.