Karma's real.

(Trigger warning: this chapter contains lots of cussing and slurs. If it would make you uncomfortable to read, feel free to skip it)

Unfortunately, you had to wake up the next morning to go to class. During breakfast, you explain your master plan to Luna, who offers constructive criticism where necessary. Leaving her to go to herbology is the last thing you want to do at the moment, but you don't have another option. For the plan you have to look normal.

You go to class as usual, but your normal interactions are a bit different. Draco and his followers are worse today, but you're prepared.

"You look even worse today, dyke." Crabbe greeted with a sneer.

"Luna's eyes are a really pretty color." You reply.

"What the fuck? Did I ask for your opinion, you dumbass?" Coyle defends.

"Plus her hair is so shiny and soft. Just like silk!"

"Oh my god no one cares what you think weirdo." Draco replies.

It takes a lot of self control to avoid pointing out that no one cares what they think either, but you manage. "Oh and don't get me started on how smart and nice she is! She's just the best!"

At this point the teacher asks the boys why they're not in their assigned seats.

"Let's just go guys, she's not worth the trouble."

Heck yeah! I hope it goes just as well for Luna. My original plan was to compliment them every time, but Luna said that doing that would just make them think we like them, so yeah. Not taking that chance. Ever.

The rest of your morning classes are with Hufflepuff or Gryfindor, so you don't have as many issues with them. At lunch you get to talk to Luna again to see how she's doing with the plan.

"Hey lovely Lovegood!" You greet.

"Hello darling." She responds in her usual sweet voice.

"Soooooo how is the plan working for you, because it's going great for me!" You ask her.

"Y/n you're a genius!" Luna answers, "they're still calling me things, but less and less. I'm not sure why it's working though. Maybe it's because it seems like we're not being affected by them... or maybe they think that we're just crazy... Whatever the reason, we'll be free from them soon. Because of you. Because you care for me enough to look as insane as I do for me."

"Of course I do, darling. Because you deserve someone who cares for you with her entire heart and would do anything for you, and no one else has given you the love you deserve. Well, except your parents, but that's different."

She smiles at you, and your heart does a back-flip. Even after dating her for months, her small acts of affection always feel new and exciting, yet familiar at the same time. Like an exciting roller coaster and like your childhood home. It's the best feeling you've ever had. We may be young, but you can still know love. You lean in and gently kiss her lips.

Unfortunately, your romantic moment is cut short by none other than sir blondie himself.

"Why have you been acting like freaks all day faggots?"

You glare daggers at him. Luna is too nice to be aggressive, so you have to be look mean enough for the both of you.

"Oh I'm sorry, was I interrupting something? Nah, I'm sure I'm okay. Anyway, why are you guys like this?"

"I haven't the faintest clue what you're referring to." Luna lied.

"Uh huuuuhhhhh. I'll believe that when you s-"

You cut him off by saying, "Plus she's just as kind to animals as she is to people!"

"And she's amazing at dealing with angry magical creatures in an ethical way." Luna adds.

"Would you guys s-" Draco shouts.

"She's also amazing at braiding hair!"

"And she's the best baker I know!"

"Seriously, stop i-" Draco attempts again.

"She always helps me with my homework!"

"She reads any book I like just so she can know me better!"

At this point, Draco gives up on getting any 'meaningful' words in, so he dramatically rolls his eyes and walks back to his posse. I can't help but wonder what made Draco act the way he does. I mean, no matter what he's been though, it's not an excuse for treating others like garbage. After all, Luna watched her mom die at nine years old, and she's the kindest person ever.

You smile and hug Luna who quickly hugs back. "I hope this means he'll leave me, well us now, alone." She says, her sing-song voice filled with joy.

"Me too. If not, now we know how to make him uncomfortable enough to let us be for the moment at least." You respond, equally happy.

You did it. It was a simple plan, but it worked. It took a ton of self control to not defend yourself, but it paid off, and it will continue to pay off. The small sacrifices you made were way more than worth it in the end. Knowing Luna is happy is worth anything you would have to do for it. Luna is worth absolutely everything to you, and it warms you to know that she feels the exact same way about you.

(849 words)