Chapter Two

They follow you up the rope, one by one, and each dropped down anything that you could find. Afterwards, you and the rest climbed down and sorted everything out. Finally, it was late at night, you could see from you cracked but still working watch. It was 1 AM in the morning, and mostly everyone was still asleep, some were traveling and keeping track of the supplies, including you and the boy.

Your a little exhausted from the following events, but remain awake. Suddenly, the boy turns to you and quietly introduces himself, "My name is Wilbur, what's yours?"

You turn to him and stare at him before answering his question, "I'm Y/N. Nice to meet you," You hold your hand out and you both shake hands. After letting go, we both stand still in awkward silence. Finally, he breaks the awkward silence and asks you a question which catches you off guard.

"Do you think we'll make it out of this alive?"

You look at him who has a hopeless expression on his face and sigh, "I'll be honest with you, I don't know. We can only hope that the authorities save us in time."

He turns to you and gives you a warm smile. You smile back at him and continue your duty of being a night guard for a couple more hours before it turns morning. Wilbur has already fallen asleep, but your still awake and can't get any sleep. Please come soon, authorities. 

As you sat in deep thought, someone comes up to you and shakes you to catch your attention. You look up at them and realize who they are, one of your little neighbors. They always greeted you when you left your house, and brought you homemade dishes when you both had dinner together. Your face brightened as you recognized her and immediately stood up. 

"Camila! Your here, too?" You asked with a concerned tone. 

She smiles and nods, "Unfortunately, yes. How are you feeling?"

"Oh, I'm fine. How about you?"

"I'm not too hurt, so okay. Why don't you rest and I'll stay here to watch the supplies."

You nod and head to an empty corner and close your eyes to try and get some shut eye, after a while you drift off to sleep.

 ____

You hear a voice calling your name and small shakes and open your eyes. Wilbur is kneeling beside you trying to wake you up, you sit up and look at him, concerned. "What's going on?"

"Someone is really sick!"

You stand up and follow Wilbur to a man laying on the floor unconscious. You kneel and feel his pulse, then his temperature, "He is freezing! Does anyone have a coat or blanket?"

You turn to the people staring at you with hopeless expressions on their faces. What are they doing? Someone is going to die, how can they stand still? You turn to Wilbur to ask for his help and he nods and starts searching the bags and supplies. You turn back to the sick man and sigh. He slowly opens his eyes and looks at you, his eyes are blood shot red.

"Your awake!" You smile in relief and check his temperature, again. Wilbur comes back with a coat and hands it to you, you take it and swing it over the man. "How are you feeling?"

"It's really cold, I have a headache, and I'm thirsty." he spoke, his voice quiet and wisp. You look at him and a big feeling of sorrow grew in your heart. "Can you help me?"

No. "Yeah, I'll make sure you make it out alive," A warm smile appears on your face and he smiles with you and closes his eyes drifting off to sleep. You stand up and turn to Wilbur with a frown on your face. He looks at you, concerned.

"Can you really help him?" Wilbur whispers to you.

"I, I don't know..." You knew you couldn't help him. He would die in a couple of days and it would be all your fault for giving him false hope. It just wasn't possible, he was way to sick and wounded from the accident. But you couldn't lie to him, the look on his face, he still had a little hope and you didn't want to be the one to crush it. "I'm gonna look around the cave to see if there's an opening." You grab a flashlight and walk off into the darkness of the cave.

- Wilbur's POV -

I watch Y/N walk forward in the cave with a flashlight and frown. What did she mean she didn't know if he would live? Surely he would, right? I looked down at the man who was asleep and sighed.

"Excuse me?" A voice popped up from behind me. I turned around and behind me was a little girl. She was trembling and her voice seemed shaky, she looked around 7.

"Hm, What do you need?" I asked calmly not to scare her.

"Is dad gonna be okay?" She turned to the man on the floor.

I looked at her, and sighed. I then smiled reassuringly at her, "I'm sure he will be."

She smiled back and hopped away to a woman who had been watching us and smiled at me, she mouthed thank you and turned to the little girl. It was probably her mother. Now I understood why Y/N had said what she did. It was hard to tell the cold truth to someone, I couldn't have imagined the look on the little girls face if I had told her the truth.

This was a nightmare, being stuck here in this cave with multiple injured people, which were already starting to lose hope. I just hoped that we would make it out alive, I mean, what did we do to deserve this? What did I do to deserve this? I was always so kind to people, I studied hard and worked hard. I helped my friends when they needed it, what did I do?

My eyes started to water and I clenched my fist. No one deserves this, do they?

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to see Y/N standing behind me. She looked worried, "We'll make it out alive, I promise you. Okay?"

I gazed into her eyes that were filled with compassion and determination. I smiled and nodded my head, I had to make it out alive. No matter what, I had to see my friends smiles one last time.