Chapter 1

I was sitting at the table drinking a freshly brewed cup of coffee. The news was playing in the background, but I was too busy to notice it. I had an hour before I had to be out of the house catching a train to New York, my cousin and her husband had just welcomed a baby boy into the world. I sighed heavily looking at the time, do I really need to get dressed for a train ride? As I contemplated the thought, I saw him.

I grabbed the remote to turn up the volume.

We are here with the talented Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator, and star of the Hit Broadway show Hamilton

Wow, he looked good.

It had been a while since I last saw him. I was fresh out of college when we first met.

I was visiting my cousin, Nomi who had just graduated from NYU, we were sightseeing when I caught a glimpse of this cool looking bookstore called the Drama Book shop. If you asked my family they would tell you I couldn't pass on a good bookshop. The books in here all catered to the arts. I'm no artist but I did star in my high schools play of Guys and Dolls as girl #1 but that would be the last thing I star in since I tripped over one of the chairs in sit down you're rocking the boat and landed myself with a chipped tooth. Found out that behind the scenes were more my thing.

As I'm walking down each aisle. I hear a shriek.
Nomi is barreling down towards me her cheeks red.  "No, we have so much more to see. No more books"
I turn to her with pleading eyes. "Look at this place...just a few more minutes please."

She forced herself to look away from me, but it lasted for about a second before she sighed and gave in "Alright, well I need to do a few errands. Stay here I'll be back for you in a hour?" I nod "yeah...I'll be right here."

I smiled at her as she rolled her eyes exiting the shop.

I quickly ran through the aisles eager for some awesome finds, when I hear music. A piano? I look around to see where the music is coming from. Every now and then it stops but then starts up again. There's a stairwell leading down and a sign that says The Arthur Seelen Theatre

A book shop and a theatre? Well, the name makes sense now, The DRAMA Book shop.

I try to ignore it but when I see a few people walk down. I decide to too. It's a little dark towards the bottom I can barely make out the last step. Oh shit! Here's guys and dolls all over again but before I can hit the ground I'm saved. Someone has caught me.
"That last step is tricky, I've been telling them we should probably get a light down here."
The voice grabs my hand and leads me to where the light is and then I'm met with the kindest eyes.
"I'm Lin. Are you here for the improv?"
I can't find my words, no seriously where are my words. He laughs "are you doing a mime bit?"
Finally I start laughing and shake my head.
"I...I heard the piano and got curious. I'm sorry for intruding."
He laughs again "no! Never intruding in fact we need another body for our show."
Guys and dolls flash through my head again and I'm instantly mortified, it must show on my face cause lin sees it too. "Or not. You can just watch and enjoy."
Just then I notice that the Arthur seelen theatre is a basement with a stage, piano and a few rows of chairs.
"I'll love to watch the show."
His smile touches the side of his eyes "good. You'll be my guest..." he lingers for a moment when I realize he's waiting for my name.
"Ah yes sorry it's Beatrice but people just call me Bea" I say
"nice to meet you Beatrice and thank you for being here."
He walks me to the seat right in front and gives me a wink before jumping onto the stage.
"Hello hello! I'm Lin Miranda! Thank you all for being here this is our second show and we're still working out some stuff so if it looks like we're winging it. We probably are"
He's charming.
The next half hour goes by so quick. Lin and his friends have managed to make me laugh so hard that I was wiping tears away by the end of it.
They go to take their bows when there's a small uproar of applause. I turn around and see that all the seats were filled. When did they come in? I don't suppose I should stick around now my cousin is probably looking for me.
"Did you enjoy it?"
There's a leap in the pit of my stomach "you all were amazing. So incredibly talented."
"Thank you, were you leaving?"
I look up towards the stairs "in a bit."
He smiles taking my hand, he walks me over to the rest of the guys he shared the stage with introducing me as his "guest and new friend"
"So...why haven't I seen you around the city before?"
"Do you know everyone in the city?" I'm curious because this is a big city I doubt he would notice me off the streets.
"You're got a point there but a lot of the artsy kids hang around this area and rarely do we see new comers. Unless they're not from here."
I smile.
"Nooooo tell me you're moving here."
I laugh "I'm not sure yet. I'm visiting my cousin who just graduated from NYU...I'm currently still in Illinois"
He lifts an eyebrow. "Chicago?"
"Evanston. Just graduated from Northwestern."
"Congratulations! We should celebrate! Your college graduation and our show!"
I wanted so badly to do that but I didn't come here to fall for guys with beautiful brown chocolate eyes, caramel skin, luscious lips, who are funny, kind...oh how the lists could go on.
I looked at the time. She said about a hour...I think I could squeeze a little more Lin time.
"A drink then?"
He winks "yes! A drink is all I need to convince you to move here."