Chapter 10 - No!

Three days later, on March 12, I was in Kate's room when the doctor came in. He looked at me and told me, "Mr. Hood, Katilyn has not woken up in three days, and like we said, we will have to discharge her from the machines. None of the antibiotics have worked on her, so we can't do anything else. I'm sorry, but we've tried everything."

"No.." Tears started flowing out of my eyes, "You can't. Please no.. Please."

"I'm sorry, Sir. We have to," he said as he began unhooking Kate from one of the machines. She stirred, and I watched her like a hawk. He touched her again, and her eyes slowly opened.

"Calum..." She said.

"Kate..." I said back, walking over to her and hugged her. I couldn't believe she was awake. The doctor then left the room.

"Are you okay? Are you better?" She asked me.

"Yeah, babe, I'm fine. The real question is are you better?"

"Well I'm awake," she chuckled.

"Babe, I missed you, and I was scared you were going to leave me.."

"I could never leave you," I hugged her again, but then she asked, "Wait, Cal, where's the baby?"

"She's in the NICUtI explained to her then why she was in the NICU.

"Is she alright? She'd be really tiny at only twenty-two weeks..."

"She was really tiny, but she's growing a bit. She'll have to stay in the NICU for a while.. They doctors also are still not sure she'll make it. She's progressing, though."

"I want to see her," she told me.

"I have a picture of her," I said, getting out my phone. I pulled the picture of her up and showed Kate.

"Oh my god.. She's so small and fragile. I-" she sniffled, "I feel so guilty."

"Kate, babe.. Don't. It's not your fault."

"I feel like it is my fault, though."

"Don't. You didn't mean to get hurt. It was the drunk driver's fault."

"Cal, I still feel guilty. I don't think I can change that."

"Alright.." I sighed. Then I wondered, "What should we name her?"

"Oo!! Something that means miracle or something like that. And I have the perfect name! Mireyah Kadyn Hood"

"It's beautiful, Kate. I love it, but what do the names mean?"

"Mireyah means miracle; Kadyn means fighter."

Mireyah Kadyn Hood. The name was beautiful, and that was my daughter. I loved it.

~

In case you were wondering, Mireyah is pronounced "mur ray ya". And Kadyn is "Kay din".

-Lizzie xx