Chapter One

"Welcome to the Wangshu Inn!" The woman at the counter said, "My name is Verr Goldet."

"H-How much?" Lumine panted, aching from sprinting so far.

"Hm?"

"What she means to say is 'How much is a room?'" Paimon explained, gesturing to the girl, "We just got attacked by some hilichurls, and Paimon suggested we stay here the night."

"Oh, I understand. We have been having some monster issues lately." She thought for a moment, "With the adventurer's discount that would be ten thousand mora."

"T-Ten thousand?!"

"That's almost everything we have!" The girl's companion groaned, "How will you afford to buy Paimon tasty snacks?!"

"Well, if you can do me a favor I can give you a small discount of say... two thousand mora?"

"Sure! What is it?" Lumine exclaimed, desperate for a semi-affordable place to sleep.

"We've been short on hands lately, and one of our customers asked to have their grilled tiger fish delivered to their room." She gestured up the stairs, "I wouldn't ask if I didn't really need it, but everyone here is busy."

"Leave it to me!"

"Come on, Lumine!" Paimon shouted, already floating halfway up the stairs, "We can finally sleep somewhere nice!"

. . .

Two minutes.

 It took two minutes for things be strange. Out of the ordinary. Odd. Take your pick.

She nearly dropped the neatly-wrapped box when she saw him.

He was casually laying on the railing of the balcony with a spear by his side, but the moment she saw him, he disappeared into black-green crystals.

Definitely strange.

. . .

"We're back, boss lady!" Paimon called as Lumine climbed down the stairs. Paimon was floating, obviously.

"Please, call me Verr." She insisted, retrieving a key from her desk, "Here is your key. Go up the way you delivered the food and it's the third door."

"Thank you, Verr."  The girl said, "I actually have a question."

"Ask away!"

"Who was the boy on balcony? I saw him while delivering the food."

"You mean Xiao? He doesn't show himself to people very often," Verr shot Lumine a smile, "Maybe he likes you."

"O-Oh." She paused, "Is there any way I could talk to him again?"

"How about you make him some almond tofu? I can write the recipe down."

"Yum-yum-yummy!" Paimon exclaimed, "Make some for me too, Lumine!"

"Sure! Do you mind if I use the kitchen?" The girl asked, taking the recipe from Verr Goldet.

"It's really up to our chef, Smiley Yanxiao, but if you tell him I said you could, chances are he'll be more than happy to let you."

"Okay, I'll make some tomorrow then." Lumine made sure to thank Verr for the recipe and the room before leaving.

And, for the first time since she was sent to Teyvat, she slept in a real bed.