Chapter Nine

"Mr. Zhongli, I'm here." Childe called, casually pulling out a chair and slinging his bow across the armrest.

  Lumine and Paimon followed him into the tearoom, the screens obscuring their full view of the area. A gentle hum filled the room, as well as the aroma of steaming hot food.

  A stranger sat at the table, gingerly holding a ceramic teacup to his lips, taking a slow sip. He savored the drink, before speaking in a low, melodic voice. "Ah, Childe. I see you've brought them."

  "Have I ever broken a promise?" He asked, slumping into his seat, and gesturing for the traveler to take hers.

  "Nice to meet you, sir." She smiled sweetly, "I'm-"

  "Oh, I know who you are, Miss Lumine." He laughed politely, placing his intricately painted teacup with the rest of the set, "I am Zhongli, the consultant of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor."

  "Wangsheng Funeral Parlor..?"

  "One of the most famous funerary services in the whole of Liyue Harbor, for one reason or another." He scoffed, "Anyways, Wangsheng deals with the Fatui, so that's how I know this fine gentlemen, in case you were wondering."

  "Same as always, I see." Zhongli sighed, shaking his head exasperatedly.

  "Th-The Fatui?!" Paimon shouted, holding her hands to protect herself if need be, "You're part of the Fatui?!"

  "Did I forget to mention that? My bad, I guess."

  The girl reached behind her chair, grabbing the hilt of her sword. She prepared herself for bloodshed on all sides.

  "Calm down, girlie." He laughed, "It's not like they kill the people that they bury, though I wouldn't put it past Ms. Tao to do that. Wangsheng actually buries our ranks, give them a proper sendoff."

  "O-Oh." Lumine placed her sword back where it had been moments prior, "So, why do you need me, Zhongli?"

  "Simple, you are the Hero of Mondstadt, so I would consider you trustworthy." The man explained, clearly picking his words carefully, "It would be an honor for you to assist me and Childe in performing the Rite of Parting for Rex Lapis."

  "Rite of Parting?" The girl's flying companion asked curiously, "What's that?"

  "Well, word travels fast in Liyue, and there are rumors already circulating that you witnessed the death of the Geo Archon. It would truly be special if you not only were the Hero of Mondstadt, but the Hero of Liyue, as well."

  Taking a deep breath, steeling herself from the scare mere seconds earlier, she considered it. Silently, she nodded.

  "Alright, where do we start?"