Chapter Four

They had been walking for a few hours when it became scarily quiet. It could have just been the sun beginning to set, or the eerie lack of birds in the area, but it was creepy nonetheless.

"What did you mean back at the Inn?" Lumine asked, swinging her sword at any bush on the path.

"About being needed at the Rite this year?"

"Mhm."

"It doesn't concern you." He paused, still walking, "All I will tell you is that I was told by Rex Lapis."

"I didn't see him come to the Inn."

"Rex Lapis wouldn't do such a thing just to deliver a message."

"Well then how did he-"

"Stop talking." Xiao put a finger to his lips and grabbed his spear.

"Hey! Don't tell Lumine to stop talking!" Paimon shouted from above.

"I said stop."

Almost the moment everything was completely silent, it wasn't. Lumine heard rustling in the bushes. She heard whispered arguments from her left--quick, rapid breathing to her right.

"Now!" A voice called from behind a tree, before throwing a bottle at the girl's feet, practically sealing her wet boots in place.

"Hand over all your valuables, or your jewelry isn't the only thing you'll be loosing!" A large man with a shovel threatened, holding his makeshift weapon to Xiao's neck.

"What else will we be loosing?" He asked coolly.

"Your life, idiot!"

Xiao's short conversation with the man gave Lumine just enough time to break free of her icy restraints, pulling her legs out one then the other. She grabbed her sword and stood up straight.

It was time to fight.

A man came from her left, holding a crossbow to her head. She ran at him, stabbing him in the elbow, rendering his arm useless as he dropped the weapon.

The man with the shovel swung the shovel at Xiao, attempting to slit his throat with the sharpened end. Xiao quickly disarmed him by swinging his spear around the handle of the shovel and throwing it to the ground.

The man from behind the tree leapt out, throwing bottles containing some kind of cryo extract everywhere. Unlucky for him, but very lucky for Lumine, the previous attack had removed the wetness of her boots.

The adeptus and the girl quickly held their weapons to his chest--points just barely piercing his clothing--before he threw something to the ground and vanished.

After a moment of rest, Lumine spoke, "How did you know they were there?"

"Treasure hoarders aren't exactly stealthy." Xiao explained, returning his spear to it's former place, "They tend to be very loud when planning how to attack their victims."

"You're a lifesaver, Xiao."

"You are welcome."