Chapter 9- ADDIE

After an extensive conversation, during which there is not any mention of high heels, and after we've solidated our plan for the night, I stand on the same podium again, this time in a blue dress instead of pants.

The bodice is simple; it's a light blue and has simple short sleeves, but the bottom of the dress is completely different. There's a small underskirt with a slit on the side that lays flat on my legs, reaching to mid-thigh, and over that, there's a transparent cloth of the same color that flows easily over my skin whenever I shift my weight. It gathers at my shins in ruffles, flaring out a bit. There's so much cloth of different transparencies that it almost looks like the ocean waves moving as I sway and the darker streaks of blue whirl with the lighter ones. To finish off the look, my hair has been pulled back into a sleek ponytail and I'm wearing black combat boots. The outfit gives me a sophisticated-but-tough look, and it accurately represents the way I've been told to play the interview.

I'm supposed to be the protective older sister figure- the hero, essentially. James is the "little brother," though I'm not entirely sure how he's going to do that. But now, a solid three inches taller (thanks, boots), I feel like the protector that I'm supposed to be.

Vinia starts on my makeup, and I'm grateful she's the one doing it, and not Octavia, who has way too much yellow caked onto her cheeks. Vinia gives me a little smile as she begins to apply foundation, and then whispers, "You look like a true rebel."

I grin as I realize she's talking about her and Cameron's group, and she taps my nose with the sponge. "No smiling. Let me work."

She applies a dash of mascara and eyeliner, and then she brings Casper over.

"What do you say we just keep it like this? And leave off the swirls?" Vinia asks. "I think it gives her a more striking look."

"I can't believe I'm saying this," Casper says, "But yes."

As they walk me over to a mirror, Vinnia whispers, "His motto is usually more is less. Not the other way around."

But when I look in the mirror, what I see is not over the top at all. The different aspects of the outfit- the combat boots, the girly dress, the winged eyeliner, the ponytail- they all tie into one overwhelming aspect: effortless power. I look like a fighter.

The door to our room opens before I can form words about my appearance. It's Finnick. He has his eyes covered with his hand, but he's peeking through his fingers, ruining the gesture in a way that I find a bit endearing.

"We decent in here?" he asks.

"Better than decent!" Flavius exclaims. "Magnificent."

Finnick uncovers his eyes and for a moment he seems at a loss for words. "I- wow- you look good." He looks me up and down, making me feel slightly self-conscious. "Really good." He shakes his head violently. "Anyway. Ready for the interviews?"

"No," I say.

Octavia huffs. "Now, now, dear, that's simply not true. You look absolutely stunning." Vinia nods to back her up.

Finnick grins. "Have to say I agree with the green lady." He steps forward to take my arm, and this time, even though I really shouldn't, I take it and we walk forward off of the dais.

As we walk down the hall, Finnick mutters, "If this doesn't get you sponsors, I don't know what will." I don't respond, trying not to egg him on. I've noticed how much he's been trying to flirt (yes, I say trying, even when it's actually pretty effective) and have been trying to ignore it because it'll only come back to hurt us in the end. I don't think he was looking for a response, though, so we just keep walking.