Chapter 6- ADDIE

The next morning, I throw on the simple outfit that I will wear for the training and try to remember what happened last night.

After the parade, I recall Finnick walking me up to my room, but I'd been so exhausted that I had barely had enough energy to shower and wash off my makeup. I don't know how I managed to navigate the shower in my state, covered as it was in panels of buttons. As I change my shirt, I realize that it's the same one as I wore on my first night on the train. Honestly, I don't even remember putting it on.

I rub my eyes and head out of my room to the dining room. This one is much fancier than the one in the dining car, if that could be possible. The table is made of marble and the chairs are velvet, as if they think nobody is going to ever spill food on them. Instead of dinner foods spread over the counter, there's a breakfast buffet. An Avox stands at the end, and I thank her after placing scrambled eggs and bacon on my plate. I've never had bacon before, but I know what it is.

I take a bite before a sit down, and it tastes like a greasier, crunchier, and smokier version of ham. In other words, it's pretty good. Probably extremely unhealthy, but also extremely good.

"Heard you two put on quite the show last night," Robin says, chuckling.

"It was bloody somethin'. That spectacle with the shoulder ride?" Jon shakes his head and James grins. "If you wanted to show the crowd you're a team... you got that covered."

Brant laughs. "That was a good call on your end, Addie. We can play the rest of the week the same way. You two need to stick together. During the training, outside the training, anywhere."

"That's fine by me," James says.

"You," I say, pointing my finger at him, "Are not allowed to be annoying."

"I make no promises," he says. I retaliate with a raised eyebrow.

A moment later, Casper sweeps into the room. Today, he's wearing a bright orange three-piece suit with makeup to match.

"Hello, my wonderful tributes!" He pushes James' and my plates away from us, to James' obvious displeasure, and sets two folded piles of clothing on the table in front of us. "Your uniforms for training. Scoot, scoot, now!"

James and I give each other a glance as we stand up, but neither of us comment on Casper's antics. After last night's success, we both have a bit more respect for the man.

After we change, the mentors escort us to the Training Center, where the other tributes are gathered. A quick glance shows that we all have the same uniform: black skintight mesh-like cloth covers us from neck to wrists to ankles.

Before leaving, Finnick whispers in my ear, "Watch for people who could be allies. Try to remember who uses which weapons." I already know this, but I nod anyway. He gives my shoulder a squeeze and then walks away.

Nick saunters over. "There a little something going on between you two?" he says, nudging my shoulder.

"What?"

He wiggles his eyebrows. "You and the mentor. Odair."

"Oh, no," I laugh. Even though I find the thought hilarious, I wonder if maybe there is a little something. I mean, he's my mentor, so of course we spend a lot of time together, but does he really...? Somehow I doubt it. And it's not like we could even be a couple. If all goes well, I'll be dead in a few days. Still chuckling at the thought, I confidently state, "Definitely not."

"Seemed like it."

I don't get the chance to retaliate, because the doors to the Center open and a tall man steps out. "Tributes!" he calls, spreading his hands in a gesture of welcome. Begins him is a giant gym filled with weapons, obstacle courses, and rings hanging from the ceiling, which he turns to motion to. "Welcome to our training facility."