Promises

Harvey sat upright in his bed rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He looked at the moon's reflection in the water. He wanted to just lay back down but he knew he had to go look for Lara. It's been about 4 months since Lara went missing. Every day that passes Harvey feels worse and worse. His anxiety is heightened, he feels as if everything was his fault. He thought of the night when it all started

*

Lara ran towards the front door yanking it open, she scans the big brick wall that separates her house from Harvey's. A small smile comes upon her face when she spots him standing at his front door looking at her with surprise.

Lara runs over to the wall and stands on a box so she could lift herself over the wall. She plops down in front of Harvey almost falling over.

"Why didn't you just go around," Harvey questions looking at Lara with bewilderment as he points to the rusty old fence gate that allowed neighbors to come and go between houses. Lara chuckles slightly to herself wiping her hands on her light blue jeans that were slightly covered up by her long grey sweater, "I don't know."

Harvey rolls his eyes and walks up the stairs of his home, but Lara's hands quickly clamp his arm not allowing him to leave.

"What do you want Lara," Harvey growls, "I heard about Mariana," Lara squeaked in a small voice.

"I know you really liked her a lot and when we were younger and you guys first started hanging out, you always told me you wanted to marry her," Lara smiles remembering the 14-year-old boy jumping around talking about the girl he wanted to marry.

Harvey yanked his arm free from Lara's hold glaring at her, "I don't need your apology, you didn't do anything wrong, other than talking to me."

"I just thought you might need someone to talk to when we were younger you would always come to-". "Lara can you just stop," Harvey yelled making Lara move back in fear, "We're not little kids anymore, we're not friends anymore. Stop living in the past, grow up, go and live your own life, and stay out of mine," Harvey yelled at Lara storming into his house leaving a shaken up Lara on the lawn.

Lara wanted to cry, but she didn't want to seem like a crybaby even though that's exactly what she was. She turned around and instead of going through the gate back to her house, she went out the gate that leads to the road.

Lara walked barefoot for about a hour till she ended up on a completely different side of town. She smiled a bit when she came to a park she sat on the swing set looking up at the stars in the sky. Tears finally began to roll down her cheeks. She knew that her friendship with Harvey was over now, for good. She felt sad, yet happy remembering all of her good memories with him.

She wiped her tears and smiled up at the sky watching all the stars dance with joy. She remembered the promise she made Harvey one night they were staring at the same stars.

~

Harvey combed back his shaggy rough hair with his hands walking over to his balcony. He sat on the leaning his head against the wooden pegs that created a barrier like he did every night he woke up, since Lara's disappearance.

Harvey sighed looking over at Lara's window. The room was dark and looked as if it hadn't been used in years. Lara's mother Liane who was a widow only had Lara. She refused to go in her room until she was found.

Harvey's stomach growled interrupting his thought, he stood up groaning when his backed ached with pain. He walked on top of all his clothes that were strewn all over his room walking down the steps that led right into the kitchen. He walked over to the fridge stopping when he noticed wet footprints on the floor and water drops on the floor.