Birth

"We will need resources. Allies. We can't possibly begin now," Cullen sighed, massaging his temples. 

              "What better place to start?" Leliana smiled. "We can approach the mages-" 

               "Or the templars," the commander grumbled, as if this were not the first time Leliana had breached the subject. "I already have connections-"

                The woman in silk frowned. "Commander, there is no guarantee-" 

                 "Josephine, what on earth makes you think we have any better chances with the mages? They have no order, no government-" 

                  "And yet they have not become a military," Leliana said, folding her slender arms. 

                 "The mages have started killing just as much as the templars, if not more," Cullen protested irritably. 

                  "I think we can agree both sides have their faults," Cassandra interjected hotly. "This war was coming long before the Divine's death." 

                   Jor nodded slightly, more to herself than anything. The templars had been formed to deal with mages who had gone rogue or turned to blood magic. Their means of extermination were... less than genteel. Their sole purpose was to fight magic. Needless to say neither faction were bosom companions. 

                    The door swung open. "Mistress Leliana." 

                    The spy raised her head. "Report." 

                    Kaisen removed her helmet, her fiery hair falling in waves of lava to frame her face. She looked weary. 

                     The commander's attention was held. 

                     "News from Redcliffe. Mother Giselle wishes to speak to the Herald of Andraste." The rogue cast Jor a small smile. "In person." 

                      Leliana brightened. "That can be arranged." She turned to Jor. "Mother Giselle is a healer and a cleric- she tends to our wounded at the Crossroads. She has many connections to the chantry, perhaps she can advise us." 

                       Josephine cocked her head to one side, cradling a clipboard at her hip. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt. And the newly birthed Inquisition making an appearance with the Mother? It would not harm our growing reputation." 

                        "Should we send troops?" Cassandra turned to Cullen. 

                        He did not respond. He seemed distracted. 

                         "Commander," the Seeker prompted irritably. He started, shaking his head and blinking rapidly. "Apologies. What was the question?" 

                          Kaisen smiled, bemused. 

                          "Shall we send soldiers with the Herald? To meet with Mother Giselle?" Cassandra folded her arms. 

                        Cullen frowned. "No. I do not wish to draw attention to her. The roads may be unsafe, but we cannot risk painting a target on her back for those who see her as a blasphemer." He smiled slightly at Jor, then glanced back at Kaisen. "That wouldn't end well for anyone." 

                         Leliana nodded. "A small team then. Cassandra. Take Varric and your mage. They will serve our Herald well." 

                           "As bodyguards?" Jor gave an incredulous laugh. Though she was grateful for the idea of company, she felt rather stupid. "I... You don't need- define unsafe roads?"

                           "Bandits," Kaisen chimed in helpfully. "No way to keep them off the refugees. Not to mention the templar camps scattered throughout the Hinterlands, now overrun by rebel mages..."

                             "So it's a battlefield." Jor suddenly felt sick. 

                              "Not as bad as you think. If you keep to the sidelines, no one will even know you're there. Redcliffe is reasonably safe, nestled on the coast, protected by the chantry," Leliana said. 

                               "Alright. I will go and speak to the Mother. And I will appreciate the company." Jor gave Cassandra a hesitant smile. The Seeker did not return the gesture. Jor swallowed the rejection of the olive branch and glanced at Leliana and the ambassador. "When will I go?" 

                                 "As soon as possible, preferably. In and out. Get dressed, eat something, gather your team." Josephine smiled good-naturedly. "This will be an astronomical opportunity." 

                                  "I'll do my best," Jor said wearily. "Thank you." 

                                   "Of course. Good day, Herald." Josephine smiled and slipped out the rear door. Leliana retreated after her. Cassandra swept out with a scowl, leaving the Herald with her sister and the commander. 

                                    Cullen cleared his throat. "I know now why you looked familiar, Jormungandr. You, scout, haven't we met?" 

                                    "I mean..." Kaisen shifted uncomfortably. "I work here. I live in the hut down by the apothecary. We're practically neighbors." 

                                     The commander flushed. "Ah." 

                                     Ladies and gentlemen, that is my cue. "Goodbye," Jor sighed with a soft smile, stepping out into the stone hallway. The atmosphere became significantly heavier with awkwardness behind her. 

                                       "Oh," Cullen said softly. "You are dismissed if you like." He ran a hand through his coarse blond hair and sighed. "I apologize. I find myself distracted today." 

                                       "...Yes, sir." Kaisen grimaced and turned away, melting into the shadows of the doorway until suddenly she was gone.