The War Room

Kaisen grinned. "There are many things I haven't told you, Varric. As many as you have yet to tell me." 

                 The dwarf gave a small, rueful smile. "Leliana taught you well." 

                "We'd expect nothing less." Kaisen winked. A low, rumbling horn blast arced over the rooftops of Haven. The young spy lifted her head. "I have to go. I'll be back soon. Bye, Jor." She glanced back at her sister, who stood silent and clutching her wrist. Kaisen's eyes were hopeful, sad, tender. Then she jogged down the path and out the gates of the compound, Dane bounding eagerly after her. 

                  Varric watched her go. "...Trouble, that one. I can see the resemblance." He looked up to smile at Jor. "Strange happenstance must run in the family." 

                 Jor sighed heavily and rubbed her wrists. "It's... complicated." 

                 "Clearly. Where were you off to?" the dwarf cocked his head. 

                  "I was told Seeker Cassandra wished to speak to me. Immediately?" 

                  "Ah, she'll be in the war room. Come, I'll take you there. But I won't go inside." Varric smirked. "I'm not exactly welcome there. Not important enough." 

                   "Oh, now that's nonsense." Jor fell into step beside him as he lead her towards the ornate doors set into the mountain. "If you can't go, why should I?"

                  Varric glanced up at her, bemused. "You really don't know what's happening do you." 

                  Jor's expression did not change. "Not a clue." 

                 The dwarf laughed, tugging at the gold hoop in his ear. "I like you, kid. You're honest. You've got guts, you don't think too hard. You'll be just fine. They ask you any hard questions, go with your instincts." He lead her inside the echoing stone hall lit with torches and lined with doors. 

                  "If you say so. You're starting to grow on me too. I really appreciate your help. Kaisen seems to trust you. How did you meet?" 

                 "We crossed paths outside Kirkwall. She was trying to do business with my family's merchant guild- under your name I might add." Varric grinned. "She's a slippery one." 

                   A flash of anger crossed Jor's gut, before it faded into grim resignation. "I see." 

                  "Here we are." Varric gestured to the steel reinforced door. Made of sturdy oak, it did look solid and sturdy enough to house something so obviously vital behind it. "Don't say anything I wouldn't." 

                  "No holds barred, got it." Jor gave a weary smile, earning a hearty laugh from the dwarf. He turned away. "Get in there, kid." 

                   Hesitantly, Jor reached for the wrought iron handle. 

                  She could hear raised voices inside, arguing. She sighed and pushed open the door. 

                "I still say she should be sent to Val Royeaux. We have no evidence-" Chancellor Roderick was fuming, his palms laid on the long table laid with an intricate map and figurines. 

                 "You have no evidence she should be tried," Cassandra shot back, a hand on her sword. "We cannot overlook this miracle. To do so would be asinine. The Breach is slowed. Her mark is no longer fatal. Your faith demands to be heard, chancellor." 

                    "Cassandra," Leliana said softly, holding up a hand to silence Roderick's furious sputtering, her soft gray eyes finding Jor in the doorway. Cullen looked up from studying the maps, unmistakable relief in his face. "Finally."

                       "Hello," Jor sighed. "Am I interrupting something?" 

                        "Get out," Roderick snarled. 

                       "Chancellor, please." A young woman with coffee brown skin dressed in beautiful gold and blue silks lit a candle and set it on the table. 

                         Cassandra was pointedly ignoring the young scholar. "What we need is a plan to deal with the spreading conflict. The mages and templars must be stopped, the rifts are our first priority. They've sprung up all over Thedas-" 

                         "And what do you suggest? Move forward with some convoluted sapling of an army? To do what? And I'd assume you'd go over the chantry's head to do it!" Roderick spat. 

                         "No. I propose we mass what forces we can. We will reform an alliance that died long ago." Cassandra slammed a metal sunburst emblazoned with the Seeker's eye on the map table. "We will reform the Inquisition to restore order to Thedas." 

                           Roderick barked out a laugh. "The Inquisition was a fluke. A temporary salve on the land- and it fell to ruin and corruption and greed, just like everything else in Ferelden. Except," he added. "The chantry." 

                          "Clearly," Jor said sourly, leaning against the wall. "The chantry has already failed in its task. Your negotiations fell to ruin. Your nuns and clerics cannot keep order." 

                          "You shut your heathen mouth," Roderick seethed, his face blotchy and red with rage. "You spread blasphemy! You are no herald- the Divine is dead! She chose no successor, and no gods would deign to touch you-" 

                           "I never claimed to be holy," Jor said coldly. "That title was tossed upon me when I woke this morning. I haven't even had coffee yet and already I'm being insulted by a man of the church." 

                          Cassandra's eyes widened. Roderick looked ready to explode. Cullen was watching the exchange, the barest hint of amusement touched his mouth. Leliana cleared her throat. "Chancellor, if I may-"

                           "You may not." Roderick hissed, storming past Jor to the door in a sweep of his chantry robes. "The high clerics will hear of this." He slammed the door behind him. 

                           All eyes turned to Jor. The young woman in silk and gold medallions gave a rueful smile. "So much for peaceful presentation." 

                            Jor worked her jaw. "...Sorry. He really seemed uncooperative. I don't think he'd change his mind no matter what I said." 

                            Cassandra scoffed. Cullen straightened his cloak. "How refreshing," the commander said, smiling. Leliana cast him a disapproving glance. 

                             "Tell me about this Inquisition," Jor prompted softly. "How will it differ from the past- and how can I help?"