19| run

Carter's POV

Driving down the road of the gated neighborhood I see the nostalgic faded brick exterior come into my sight. The gridded windows with black window shutters perfectly aligned with each other wrapping around the house. As I get closer I see the white columns that hold up the white-railed balcony above the porch. Through the privacy bushes, I can see the remaining sunlight from the setting sun bouncing off the glass walls of the sunroom at the side of the house. I only see two other parked well-known cars gathered in the circle driveway, the rest probably on their way home soon.

Mom is just getting out of her car when I pull into the circle driveway of my childhood home. Mom's brown hair blows around in the wind as she spots me parking behind her car. After grabbing my duffel from the backseats the sound of my closing car door ricochets in the wind.

"Hey, mom." I walk up to her slinging my arm over my shoulder giving her a light side hug.

"She's gorgeous," mom gushed out of nowhere obviously talking about a certain raven-haired someone.

"I know." I want to say along with anyone with eyes knows. But I don't because I don't want to stir the pot.

"You can say you know that smirk on your face says everything, momma knows all." She gloats patting my cheek. I didn't realize I was even smirking till I felt her hand against my taut skin.

I've only told mom about Teagan a couple of times. The first time being after Teagan came to the hockey game and the latest being a couple of nights ago. I didn't go into that much depth at least I don't think I did? But of course, as she said momma knows all and called bullshit through the phone when I said I like her as a friend. Today even confirmed her suspicions.

I mean yes I like her but it's starting to become more than just friends.

Fuck, who am I kidding I like her more than just as a friend.

I just don't say anything to indicate I want something more than friends, since I know it's what she wants I think. I feel like if I do try to indicate something she'll jump to conclusions. She'll think I was planning to fuck her all along. Me having a bit of a track record also doesn't help. If she doesn't already think that I was because when I wasn't so focused on her dark amber eyes I was zoning in on her lips and more than once. My mind went there and other places I mean at first I ignored it because I thought I only liked her as a friend. But now I wonder what it would be like to press my lips against her's hard and maybe if she'd let me s...

"Carter!" Mom interrupts my thoughts opening unlocking the front door. Ah, fuck I should not be thinking these things at home.

"Sorry what?" I walk inside after her. Mom redid the whole inside of the house this summer making it all modern. White paint, marbled floors, and neutral tones everywhere. The dark oak railings of the curved staircase that's here in the foyer kept as an accent. Looking up at the ceiling above the fairytale-like chandelier that once hung there now gone. Replaced with this atom-looking chandelier.

"I'm going to start dinner you go say hi to your sisters." She tells me before disappearing into the kitchen.

I follow mom's path through the short hallway to the kitchen which is opened up into the living room. Mom loves having as much natural light being let in as much as she can so the whole back of the house in the living room is practically glass. The pool peeking through the window is covered and the fountain off due to the cold weather.

Dropping my duffel on the floor beside the island the TV that is attached to the wall above the fireplace is on playing some crime show. My eyes spot the top of the light brown head of hair that's resting on the large gray sectional.