Chapter 24 - Us

(Nolan's POV)

"It'd be better if you stayed home."

Lachlan: But dad, it's not cold today.

I sighed while zipping up my black winter coat. I bent down and placed a hand on the brunette's shoulder.

"It's always cold. Besides, it's not safe."

I kissed his forehead and ruffled his hair.

Lachlan: But, I promise I'll listen.

His voice was small, but it was like listening to a gentle melody. I hated saying "no" to him, but it had to be done.

"I'll only be 20 minutes, okay?"

He looked down at the ground. His blue eyes shimmered in the dim living room light. It broke my heart seeing him sad.

"I'm sorry, buddy. Maybe when you're older."

Our eyes locked. I'd never really taken him outside before. He'd only seen it from the windows and photographs I had lying around. At first, it was because of the cold. Gradually, it was because of the chaos and destruction other dolls had caused. Of course, when he was only an infant I had to bring him with me. But lately, I'd found it easier to leave him home.

"I need you to stay here and take care of Lou, alright?"

He nodded sadly, looking at his the small shoes that covered his feet. I glanced outside. I guess it's not as cold as usual...

"Fine...you can come. But you have to listen to me, alright?"

He nodded excitedly and put on his coat. I knew he would listen to me. He was a good kid.

With that, we left the house, after locking the door behind us. Every week I'd have to go to the stores to collect whatever food I could find.

Eventually, I made it to one of the small stores and placed a few cans of food into my bag. Lately, it had become harder to find food. Even at the grocery stores.

With most of the dolls in the big world, no one was running the shops.

I watched my cloudy breath float up to the sky as I went from building to building. I felt bad about going into the other doll's abandoned homes, but there was nothing else I could do. There were only a few houses left I hadn't searched. The one in front of me, was one I had been dreading to enter.

I tested the door to see if it was locked. It wasn't. So, I knocked.

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

There was no answer. I looked down at the small brunette.

"Stay where I can see you, okay? We're only looking for food, so don't wander off, alright?"

He nodded and within a few seconds, we'd entered the house. Lachlan and I went to the kitchen and began our search there. I was looking in the fridge, while Lachlan looked in the cupboards just a few feet away from me.

Lachlan: Ooh... peaches.

I chuckled.
"Those are apricots, buddy."

Lachlan was surprisingly mature for his age. At least, I thought so. He learned how to do everything quickly, from walking to speaking.

Lachlan: Daddy, look! Candy!

Before he could get up to show me, the sudden sound of footsteps echoed from the hallway.

There was no time for us to leave. There was no time for anything. My heart sank as my eyes connected with periwinkle irises.

Out of the corner of my eye, Lachlan had hid in one of the cupboards under the kitchen sink. I was pleased that he knew what to do. I couldn't praise him just yet, though.

Micheal: Nolan?

"...Micheal. Uh, hi."

Micheal: ...What are you doing?

I stood up, leaving my bag on the floor.

"Well...I'm running out of food, so I was just looking for some to bring home. It's been a while since I last saw you, so I thought you weren't here."

Micheal: Oh...well, if it's food you're after...help yourself.

"Really?"

Micheal: Yeah, of course.

We blinked at each other for a while before I placed a few more items in my sack. I wanted to leave, but I wasn't sure when I would find food next. I turned back, realizing the blue-haired doll was watching me. From what Lou told me, Micheal would often act like he had different personalities or something. And it would only take a split second for him to become aggressive. I hated how unpredictable he was.

Shoot. How am I gonna leave with Lachlan if he's watching me?

Micheal was a doll who didn't know about Lachlan. I planned on keeping it that way.

Even though he probably heard the rumors of me having a kid, he didn't need to know the truth.

Micheal: What's wrong? Do I make you uncomfortable?

I stood up, placing my bag over my shoulder. I wasn't sure what to do.

"Well... a little."

Micheal: Hm.

I felt my skin crawl. I shouldn't have brought Lachlan. I'm such an idiot. I shouldn't have brought him...Please don't move Lachlan. Stay where you are, just for a bit longer.

I stopped for a moment. I could tell he was getting upset. I didn't want Micheal to do anything to hurt me. Lachlan didn't need to see that.

"I'm sorry I bothered you. It won't happen again. Just please let us leave."

I looked towards the door we came from.

Micheal: "Us"? What do you mean "us"?

I froze. I mentally facepalmed. I wanted to cry. Ugh, Nolan! Idiot!

"Umm..."

Micheal: So, Lou finally woke up, huh? Took him long enough. Where is that bastard, anyways?

His pale blue eyes darted all around the kitchen area in search of the blonde.

"He's...in the bathroom..."

Micheal glared at me. I wasn't the best at lying. I could only hope my lie was believable.

He bit the back of his index finger. I mentally face-palmed at the lame response I had said. Although, it was all I could think of the time. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

Suddenly, I was being held up by my coat collar. It happened so fast I didn't even see Michael come back.

Micheal: You really think I believe that? All I want is you. When will you understand that? I've changed! We can be together again!"

"Let go of me!"

I pushed him back. He glared at me. Before he could react, I grabbed a glass vase from the kitchen counter and chucked it at him. He shouted in agony before falling to the ground.

I rushed over to Lachlan and whispered for him to get out.

Lachlan: I'm scared.

"Shh. It's okay. We're gonna go home now, okay?"

Instantly, I was shoved into the wall.

Micheal: And what is this?...A...child?

Lachlan whimpered and backed up into the cabinet more. Micheal opened the cabinet door like a brute and began to reach in with his right hand. I quickly grabbed his right arm and pulled it towards myself.

"No! Don't hurt him. Do whatever you want with me. Just leave him alone."

I hated myself for being stupid. I shouldn't have gone in that house.

I should've left Lachlan at home.