Chapter 16 - You believe me?

Micheal: It's alright. You're safe now.

Micheal stepped toward me and reached out to touch my face. A hand immediately slapped Micheal's. The blue-haired doll stepped back with a surprised look on his face.

Mandy: Hands off, buddy.

Mandy rested her hand on my shoulder, and comforted me. Micheal looked confused for a moment and cleared his throat.

Micheal: I was only trying to comfort him-

Mandy: Save it.

Mandy spoke in a stern voice. The same kind of voice Lou used once in a while when he was serious. Micheal took a few more steps back and realized that Mandy wasn't falling for any of it.

Ox: What's going on here?

Mandy: I don't know, you tell me, Ox. I don't know what Michael told you, but he's probably lying!

Ox glanced at Micheal with his one good eye and looked back at us with a confused look. I looked at Micheal as well. I understood why Ox didn't believe Mandy. I mean, how could someone covered in bruises and scrapes possibly be the the bad guy?

Mandy: I know how this looks, but whatever he told you, isn't true. Lou was just protecting Nolan from Micheal!

Everyone stared at me. I hated when everyone did that. I didn't want to be stared at. I hid behind Mandy and averted my eyes from everyone else's.

Ox: Is this true, Nolan?

Everyone was eager to hear my response. Especially Micheal.

"Yes, that's true."

Ox realized how many eyes were watching, and instructed me and Micheal to follow him into his office. I gave Mandy a thank-you-hug and made my way in the small building.

Ox sat at a wooden desk across from Micheal and I.
I sat as far as I could from Micheal, although I doubted he'd do anything in front of Ox.

Ox: Alright, Nolan. I'd like to hear your part of the story. What happened yesterday in the evening?

I was surprised how straight-to-the-point he was. I wasn't sure what to say.

Micheal: Yes, Nolan. Do tell.

My skin crawled when my eyes met his. I knew he was curious as to what I would say.

"W-well...Lou was just protecting me.."

Ox: But why would he do that?

"I-I don't know. H-he just did! Michael was.. bothering me."

My lip began to quiver. I couldn't do it. I wasn't brave. I couldn't say it.

"Just don't take Lou away. Please! Don't take him. He's all I have!"

Ox: I understand how you feel but if you can't tell me what happened, then I'm just gonna have to take Micheal's word-"

"No! Lou was just protecting me!"

My face was all wet from my tears. Micheal just smirked to himself, knowing I wasn't strong enough to say it. C'mon, Nolan! Just say it! For Lou! C'mon!

Micheal: Poor Nolan. It's affected him, being with someone as manipulative-"

"Michael tried to rape me, okay?! I mean...he did. My memory's fuzzy, but he attacked me."

The room fell completely silent.

"When we were together he did it all the time! He abused me in every way you can think of! He told me horrible things... And he hurt me..."

I broke down into tears. Never had I said all those things out loud. Ox looked at Micheal one last time, before talking on some device. I couldn't hear what he said over my stupid sniffling and bawling.

Micheal couldn't contain his scoff.

Micheal: Hold on, you don't actually believe him, right? He's obviously lying! I wouldn't-

Ox: I don't think he is, Michael.

Suddenly the same two dolls from earlier came into the room and grabbed the blue-haired doll by his arms. He looked real upset.

Ox: Just take him away, please.

Micheal just stared at the ground. I wasn't sure if he had given up or was contemplating how he'd kill me. He was taken away and me and Ox were left in a heavy silence.

"Y-you believe me?"

Ox nodded. His long green ears swayed with his head.

Ox: If I didn't pay attention, I'd think that he was just a normal person. But for awhile now, I've realized that there was something off about him. Anyways, I had no idea any of this was going on. I'm so sorry.

I wiped my face with my sleeve. All I wanted was to see Lou again. I wanted to hold his hand. Or even, hear his voice.

Ox: We're gonna figure all this out, okay?

"I just want to see Lou.."
I sniffled more and wiped my face.

Ox gave a comforting smile. It was warm. Not as warm as Lou's. But warm enough.

~10 minutes later~

"Lou!"

Lou: Bunny!

The blonde reached out his hands towards me. I brought them to my cheek and told myself not to cry. It didn't feel right seeing him behind bars.

"Oh, Lou. I don't know what to do."

Lou: What do you mean?

"The only way to punish Micheal is to make laws and rules, but then that'd mean you'd be punished as well.."

He thought to himself for a moment while he caressed my face gently. I don't think he fully understood what I was talking about.

Lou: It's alright, love. Just breathe.

He held my hand through the bars and smiled warmly at me.

"Ox said the only way Micheal could be punished was if rules were made like how they are in the human world. But that'd mean you'd be punished as well for what you did years ago. That'd be life imprisonment for you, wouldn't it? Because of the recycling and the.. lies.. and now everyone thinks you randomly assaulted Michael.."

Suddenly he understood. He didn't say he did. I could just tell. He fell to his knees and sighed heavily. I sat down in front of him, almost forgetting the cast I was wearing. No one said anything for a while.
He held my hands and fiddled with my engagement ring.

Lou: He has to be punished. Don't think about me. He can't get away with it. Not with all he's done.

"But, Lou-"

Lou: I'm sorry, Nolan.

"No! It's not fair!"

Lou: What choice do we have?

"I-I don't know! There has to be some other way!"

I began to cry again even though had already used up my tears.

I had to make a choice:

Let Micheal get away with it,

Or let Lou suffer.