26

She grabbed me by my hair and dragged me behind her. I squirmed and gripped my hair since that shit hurts like a bitch! This abusive woman is going to pull out all my hair if she doesn't let up. She released my hair so she could grab me by the throat. I tried to cry out, but I was struggling to breath. I began to see dark spots as my air supply was cut off. The last thing I heard before blacking out was Nyx's scream.

X

I woke up on an icy, cold floor. It didn't take me long to guess where I was. I thought hell would at least be a bit warmer. I'm surprised she didn't chain me. Well, I assume she believed I wasn't a threat to her.

"My, my, my." I stiffened when I heard her voice. "My little Calista, home at last." Calista? Who the hell is Calista? "Your birth name." She sensed my confusion. "The name your mother claimed had died the day you were born. It's a shame it's taken this long before we formally met-"

"Why do you sound French?" She furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Pardon?" She held her hand up to stop her guards from advancing. I'm guessing people don't normally get away with interrupting the queen.

"It's just that my mom sounds English and you sound French, even though you grew up in the same region. I've noticed that people have different accents even though they grew up in the same place."

"Is that really where your priorities are?" She mused in bewilderment. "And you're supposed to be my downfall." She rolled her eyes.

"What do you want from me?" I struggled to get out. I was absolutely terrified, but was trying my hardest not to show it. I know Nyx will be here. She'll save me.

"I want you dead, first of all. Then, I'll parade your corpse through the streets of my sister's kingdom as I ravage it. I'll then behead her and stick her severed head on a spear so the whole nation will know who-"

"Jeez, woman!" I stopped her rant. "That's twisted, even for you. Like I know you're the 'embodiment of evil and blah blah blah' but she's your sister and you really wanna mutilate her that bad? Damn! And this is all over a title?" My breath was sucked out my lungs as I was pinned to the wall. I think I made her angry.

"NO ONE INTERRUPTS ME!" Yep, I definitely made her mad. "And it is more than a title! It was my birthright that I was cheated out of!" I can totally see why my grandfather decided to pass the crown onto my mother instead of this psycho. "And-" She halted her rant and sniffed me.

I cringed as she kept sniffing me. I blushed when her face contorted in disgust. Maybe if she hadn't released her soldiers, I wouldn't have had to run and get all sweaty. I didn't think I smelled that bad. I subtly sniffed myself. She made eye contact with me, but I averted my gaze and pretended I didn't try to sniff myself.

"BITCH!" She flung me to the floor. I screamed when I felt my arm crack. "YOU SLEPT WITH HER!" She kicked me in the stomach, sending me flying across the room. "SHE'S MINE!" Her nails dug into my neck. "I'll kill her and then kill you or I'll kill you and then her! Ahhh! I'll have her watch as I drain the life from your eyes!"

I'm silently crying from all the pain she's inflicted on my body. It hurts. Everything hurts. Nyx, where are you? I need you. I silently cried to myself. Lilitu raised her hand, ready to strike me again. Before her hand made contact with my flesh, a body appeared in front of me.

Lilitu connected her fist with Nyx's face. Nyx stumbled from the shock before sliding me out the way. She summoned her double blade sword while Lilitu summoned her two swords. The two engaged in a heated duel.

"Kenny! Try and get up!" She dodged one of my aunt's blades. "You need to get out of here!" She grunted from the force of my aunt's blade.

I tried to stand up, but I fell. The dark queen had sprained my ankle, broken my arm, broken some ribs, and I'm pretty sure she gave me a mild concussion. I used the wall to help me stand up.