★ Prologue⭐

Prologue

I lifted my hood against the storm. It didn't do much, my hair was already drenched as well as my clothes. The wind stung my eyes and whipped my cheeks. I took in a shuddering breathe.

My God, it was cold!

I saw my house come into view, "Oh, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou." I murmured in gratefulness. I opened the thick wooden door and stepped inside, relaxing into the warm air. I quickly closed the door to keep the cold out and threw my dripping hoodie onto the coffee table. I made my way to the kitchen and picked out a cup and grabbed a carton of milk. I looked between the carton and cup. Before shrugging and just taking some swigs from the carton. I left the cup on the bench and returned the milk to the fridge.

I shivered, still cold.

"Mum, I'm having a shower!" I called. No one replied but I was used to it now. Mum hardly ever came out of her room or socialised. I didn't dwell on it and walked up the stairs to the bathroom. The house was quiet but it was the usual.

I yawned and opened the door. When I opened my eyes, the scene would haunt me for the rest of my life.

Mum layed motionless on the floor. Her dark hair was splayed all over the floor, obstructing my view of her face.

"Mum?" I whispered, "Mum?!"

She didn't move or make a sound. I crouched down beside her.

"Oh, God no. Please. Oh, no." I whispered. Tears had sprung to my eyes. It was then I saw the pill bottle in her hand. I carefully picked it up.
Empty.

"No!" I screamed, "No! Mum! Please, no!"

I shook her. She didn't stir. Her skin felt cold. Lifeless. It was then reality kicked in. I pulled out my phone and punched in the emergency number.

"Oh, God. Oh, God." I chanted as the phone rung.

Finally they picked up. Emotionlessly I answered their questions, listing off the ambulance, the address and problem.

"Please hurry." I whispered desperately. "Please."

"We'll be right there, miss." Then they hung up.

I clutched my phone tightly, my knuckles were white from the strain. I leant over mum, a tear fell from my chin and into her hair. Another followed.

"Oh God no." I whispered.

⭐★

"Phoebe?"

I hurried to the faint voice. I grabbed her pale hand.

"Mum." I whispered. I squeezed her hand gently. "Mum, you're awake."

A tight smile made it's way to my face. The closest to happiness I had experienced for the past week.

"Phoebe." She said.

I nodded repeatedly but she hadn't opened her eyes yet. I slowly pushed some stray thin hair from her forehead. Being careful of her breathing mask and the various tubes sticking out from her skin.

"Yes, mum. Its me." I murmured soothingly, a tear fell from my eye. "Its me."

I hadn't left the hospital since mum was admitted, I slept by her side and I waited until she woke. Some of my friends had come and kept me comforted and sane.

"Phoebe." Mum breathed. I wiped my eyes.

"I'm here." Slowly so I didn't disturb her I pressed the assistance button and waited for a nurse or doctor to come. "I'm here."