Christmas with Stonewall Jackson and J.E.B. Stuart

Published: December 25, 2008

Im not going to lie: Jeb Stuart was the only man in the ANV ( army of Northern Virginia) who could make General Jackson smile or laugh out loud. What is the reason? I do not know. Also Stuart was the only man ever, to slap Jackson in the back as a greeting and grab him by the arm. Just the entry of Stuart into his tent was enough to see him smile. ( GOD!!! I LOVE STUART)!!!

So yea. J.E.B. Stuart was the only man in the ANV who could make Gen. Jackson smile, and sometimes laugh. It is beleived that it was due to Stuart's appearance. He was known to s his friends as "Beauty" due to a disfigurement in his lower jaw(The reason why he grew a beard)and had a great sense of humor. Also General .Stuart presented Stonewall with a uniform that Jackson considered garish, and wore only once: The day he was mortally wounded.

If you want to know where to find this: look at Page 669 of Robertson's love-letter to Blue Light. The above print I think reconstructs a Christmas dinner at Jackson's HQ at Moss Neck in 1862. Present were Generals Lee, Stuart, Pendleton, and selected members of their staffs. a total of 12 officers. Lee chided Jackson for the extravagence of his HQ, and Stuart derided the paintings on the wall, including one of a bull. Stuart also commented on the presence of wine on the table. The moment captured in the print I think is when Stuart noticed that the butter had been stamped with a rooster, and said that it must be Jackson's coat of arms. "Jackson's slight smile hardly masked his discomfort." All this apparrently from an address given in 1898 by Jackson staffer James Power Smith.

And for the painting