Robert E. Lee

Robert E. Lee was an American hero who fought for the sovereignty of the Southern States during their civil war. Even in defeat, his patriotism and devotion to his people was recognized as among the greatest to ever have lived. He was a most honorable man with deep convictions of loyalty. He did not want secession and was opposed to it. When the war started, he agonized over which side to support. He finally decided his primary loyalty was to his native Virginia first and the nation as a whole second. This was in line with the prevailing political thought of much of America at that time — the states' sovereignty took precedence over the federal government. He ordered his troops to avoid any atrocities against civilian northern sympathizers, and tried to treat prisoners of war well. He was not always successful, subordinate commanders did occasionally mistreat prisoners and harm civilians despite Lee's wishes.  He was a man among men. That was Robert E. Lee. A quiet reflective man who loved his land and people. A good husband and father. A faithful servant of God's.  A man who was no different than he should have been for the time in which he lived. A man loyal to a cause he knew was already predisposed for failure. A humble man of intelligence and manners, who spent the rest of his life teaching .