A True Fun Fact that no one will tell you

Who were the nicest slave owners? I know this is a weird, messed-up question but who was the kindest to their slaves, like who treated their slaves the best out of all the slave-owning groups in history?

The answer:  Believe it or not, it was  the slave owners of the American South.  And I do not have a single doubt about this fact.  They most often were referred to as "servants". Blacks often referred to themselves as Mr. Smith's "people" or Col. Jones's "people". Many slaves were considered members of the family, and not a few helped raise more than one generation of their master and misses children and their children. Documented history bears this out.  It was actually the Yankee troops who were often discouraged and disgusted to find slaves loyal to their white families. Their "whitefolk", whom they refused to turn on or when they openly protected their white owners property or possessions. Often under great durress, or when threatened with murder or otherwise offered rewards for their cooperation. Some slaves were murdered for their loyalty. Thousands had their homes ransacked; their womenfolk raped right along with their whitefolk. Hundreds of blacks, freedmen and slave, served in the Confederate Army. Hundreds if not thousands served the Confederate cause in support positions and were invaluable raising crops and minding the hearths and homes the soldiers left behind. No small consideration by any means. Had these people been mistreated as popular Yankee myth states, they would have raised up, destroyed the Confederate home front, and the Confederacy would have collapsed overnight.

See the books:

"Myths Of American Slavery"
Kennedy, Pelican Books

"The South Was right"
Kennedy and Kennedy, Pelican Books

"Southern By The Grace Of God"
Grissom, Pelican Books

"The Real Lincoln"
"Lincoln Unmasked"
Prof. Thomas Dilorenzo

"Black Southerners In Gray"
Rank and File Publications
"War For What?"
(Very informative on the slavery issue)
Francis W. Springer, Nippert Publishing

"War Crimes Against Southern Civilians"
Cisco, Pelican Books

"The Burning"
Sheridan's Devastation Of The Shenandoah Valley
John H. Heatwole, Rockridge Publishing

Also

The slave owners in the American South never killed slaves that were too old to work except as a criminal act. That was murder under the existing laws. Slave ownership did not include the right to kill the slave. Each slave state passed laws to prevent owners from turning their slaves out in old age. Thus, some of this occurred initially, but it ended with legislation and the social pressure brought against cruel slaveholders. Slaves usually worked into their 70s. There was something for them to do even in old age. Starving slaves too old to work was very, very uncommon if it happened at all. The slaves stuck together and would have provided food for the aged if necessary. While the question presupposes entirely financial motives, this is contrary to the way slavery was usually practiced in the South. Most slave owners knew their slaves, who they referred to as "servants," and had often known them for many years or their entire lives. Slavery was paternalistic. There was a large "plantation family" that included blacks and whites; most slaves were considered part of this larger plantation family. Planters sold troublemakers, but avoided breaking up families unless there was an estate sale or bankruptcy. Most large slave work-forces were created through births of slaves over time; and most slaves worked with their nuclear or extended biological families. These very common blood ties in the slave workforce protected the slaves from abuse, because the owners and overseers would have to contend with an extended black family who would take a dim view of any cruelty or abuse to their relatives. Morale was often essential for a productive plantation; slaves, often in the majority on plantations, might have a work slowdown if they wanted to protest. Or they would keep silent and the owners or overseers would get the message. This question flies in the face of another truth that modern liberals are loathe to admit: Until Emancipation, antebellum slavery provided a form of social security that was not available elsewhere. Most of the 10 demands of the Black Panther Party were provided during slavery! Black Panther's Ten-Point Program. Many slaves loved their former owners.

Folks who have trouble accepting or believing politically incorrect views of slavery should see what the former slaves actually said about slavery here:  About this Collection - Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 or here: Prison & Slavery - A Surprising Comparison.

The purpose of my writings is not to praise antebellum slavery compared to freedom, but to highlight the current problems with the New Age Slavery of massive incarceration, propose workable solutions, and also develop old-fashioned ways to fight drug addiction, chemical slavery. Very few abolitionists ever set foot on a Southern slave plantation, and if they did, it was not for long.  Nevertheless, the exaggerated abolitionist view still predominates in Hollywood

Also there were many slaveowners who were a without a doubt completely kind and merciful. Like Nathan Bedford Forrest and Stonewall Jackson, both of whom were known as " the black man's Friend". Robert E. Lee, Joesph Johnston, and AP Hill didn't own slaves and Jeb Stuart set his two slaves free in 1859. Another one was Jefferson Davis. Jefferson Davis was also considered a model of a benevolent slave owner because he allowed his the slaves to form juries to judge and apportion punishment for any of their number who broke the rules of the plantation, and caring for the sick and feeble old in his slave population.