Johnson Island: Andersonvile of the North

Johnson's Island Prison is a 300-acre (120 ha) island in Sandusky Bay, located on the coast of Lake Erie, 3 miles (4.8 km) from the city of Sandusky, Ohio. It was the site of a prisoner-of-war camp for Confederate officers captured during the American Civil War. Initially, Johnson's Island was the only Union prison exclusively for Confederate officers but eventually held privates, political prisoners, persons sentenced to court martial and spies. Civilians who were arrested as guerrillas, or bushwhackers, were also imprisoned on the island. During its three years of operation, more than 15,000 men were incarcerated there. The island is named after L. B. Johnson, the owner of the island beginning about 1852. It was originally named 'Bull's Island' by its first owner, Epaphras W. Bull, around 1809 (later misspelled "Epaproditus" Bull, by local-historians.)

Sandusky, Ohio

Johnson's Island, located in Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie was chosen as the site for the Union depot of captured Confederate officers in late 1861. Johnson's Island, approximately 3 miles from Sandusky, was determined to be conveniently accessible for supplies needed for construction and maintenance of the prison and its population. It was also considered more easily protected than other islands in the open lake. The island could be leased for $500 a year with the government having control over who had access to the island. Because of these advantageous factors, the Federal Government built a prison designed to hold 2,500 prisoners on the island.

From April of 1862 until September of 1865, over 10,000 Confederates passed through Johnson's Island Prison.
Construction of the prison began on November 1861. It was estimated that the total cost of the prison would be around $30,000, including a blockhouse with a howitzer and a guardboat positioned offshore.

The compound was built on an already cleared area of almost 16 acres on the southeast end of the island. Stockade planks 14-feet tall were built around the site with the gate facing, and about 20-yards from, the shoreline. A platform was built along the top around the outside of the wall for the guards to use for patrolling. At the 2 corners facing the lake, blockhouses were built to house light artillery pieces. At the main entrance, another blockhouse was built.
The prison contained 13 Blocks, which were 2 stories high and approximately 130-feet by 24-feet. Of the 13 Blocks, 12 were used as prisoner barracks and 1 was used as the hospital. The inside of 4 of the barracks were divided into 22 rooms, 11 rooms on each floor. The other 8 barracks were divided into 6 large rooms, 3 on each floor. There were 2 kitchens to each barrack, built as additions to the main building. Inside each barrack was a wood-burning stove for heat during the winter months. Stairs led to the upper floors from the outside. The barracks for the guards and houses for the families of the Union officers were built 200-yards away from the prison. The officer barracks were on the west side and the guards' barracks were on the south and north sides. Another street ran behind the row of barracks, inside a series of stakes that served as the "deadline".
There were more than 40 buildings outside the stockade used by the 128th Ohio Volunteer Infantry to guard the prison. The 2 major fortifications (Fort Johnson and Fort Hill) protecting Johnson's Island were constructed over the 1864/65 winter, and were operational by March of 1865.
The Hoffman Battalion, which consisted of 400 men organized into 4 companies, formed the 128th Ohio Volunteer Infantry became the official guards of the prison until January 1864. At this time, 6 more companies were added and the Regiment was designated as the 128th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The commandant was William S. Pierson, former mayor of Sandusky. Because of his cruelty to prisoners and his inability to handle problems and keep the prison in good order, he was replaced. On January 18, 1864 Brig. Gen. Harry D. Terry replaced Pierson. A few months later, on May 9, 1864, Col. Charles W. Hill took command at Johnson's Island, remaining as such until the end of the war.
The prison tookprisoners of all types, including officers, enlisted men, and civilian political prisoners until June 1862. After June, only Confederate officers would be held at the prison.