The Sacking of Osceola, Missouri

Few places throughout the United States saw quite the anarchic bloodshed as the Kansas Territory. Yankee war criminal Senator ( and General) James Lane led a raid on Osceola on 23 September 1861 in pursuit of General Sterling Price's invading army, east of Harrisonville and Clinton, Missouri, near the present border with Kansas.  Lane had about 1,100 men at his disposal and skirmished with a much smaller Union detachment outside Osceola.  When the Union soldiers were routed, they fled into the surrounding woods and cornfields, and Lane led his men into the town where they burned 797 of 800 buildings to the ground. At the very very least, they  took care to kill none of the civilian population. However, this did something very similar. They forced them from their homes and then they searched every room of every building and stripped all belongings deemed of value, before torching everything. And by everything, I mean everything. And yes. That included even the church.  The evil Lane himself even stole a piano for himself. He then ordered 9 men of military age, one of them who was only 16 years old and sobbing over his dead horse, to be tried on suspicion of aiding the Confederacy, and had all of them shot dead. Sadly, even  today, Osceola had never fully recovered. May all of the nine victims of Lane fly high.

I found a comment on YouTube that tore me