Principals' Office

Tuesday Morning

Mum - I was just about to make sure you were awake for school. How is your face today?

Kayla - My face is pretty sore. Does my cheek still look swollen?

Mum - Only a little. You're still as beautiful

Kayla - Thanks, Mum

Mum - That girl deserves to be punished for what she did to you. I hope your school does the right thing and suspends her.

Kayla - You're preaching to the choir.

Mum drives me to school. As I'm walking to my locker Mr Jackson, the principal calls me over the loudspeaker.

Principal - Can Kayla Smith come to the principal's office?

I walk to the office and he doesn't look happy.

Kayla - Sir, you wanted to see me?

Principal - Yes. I wanted to talk to you about the incident that occured yesterday... What exactly happened?

Kayla - Sarah literally just marched up to me and hit me.

Principal - Completely unprovoked?

Kayla - Yes. I was talking to Jamie at the time. It all happened really fast.

Principal - Your story lines up with that of other students who saw it happen. I want you to know that we're taking this matter very seriously. What do you think is an appropriate punishment?

Kayla - Suspend her. I don't feel safe around her.

He nods and writes it down. He lets me go. I find Jamie with Caleb and Ivy.

Kayla - Why does it feel like shit is going down?

Jamie - I'm going to class.

Jamie walks off and Ivy the other.

Kayla - What just happened?

Caleb - I'm sick of the way Ivy treats Jamie. I'm not sure if I can deal with her anymore.

Kayla - Are you thinking about breaking up with her?

Caleb - Don't tell anyone I told you this but... I still like Jamie. I haven't stopped liking her.

Kayla - YASSSSS! I can't believe you still like Jamie. I KNEW IT! You have to tell her how you feel! NOW!

Caleb - She likes Kyle now though...

Kayla - Please, she's only with him because you've been with Ivy. She still has feelings for you. She's just afraid of being rejected by you.

Caleb - Then she knows how I feel.

Kayla - You just have to tell her how you feel, Caleb!

Caleb - We'll see. Maybe when the time is right.

After the bell rang in Spanish class. I met up with Conan in the cafeteria for lunch.

Conan - How is your cheek today?

Kayla - It's healing.

Conan - It's my fault. I shouldn't have ever been talking to Sarah. I made her think that something was happening between us.

Kayla - You didn't make Sarah hit me in the face.

Conan - No but I should have stayed away from her.

Kayla - It's ok. Let's just move on. Can we forget about it?

Conan - I'd love to forget about it.

Kayla - Good. Now we can move forward.

We laugh and I get a call.

Kayla - Weird, it's my brother calling.... Hey Max. What's up?.

Max - I heard about what happened with Sarah from mum. I'm really sorry. High schoolers can be such bullies

Kayla - You're telling me.

Max - Once you get to uni, you'll see how all this high school drama was such kid stuff. Which gave me an idea. How about a weekend away? Come down after school on Friday and visit? My roommate is out of town so you can have his bed.

Kayla - That sounds awesome! Would it be okay to bring a friend?

Max - Of course! Can't wait to see you.

Kayla - See you this weekend, bro

I hang up and get excited.

Kayla - Max wants me to go down to his University this weekend to visit him.

Conan - Wow, that'll be so fun to spend a weekend in University. Did I hear him say you could bring someone with you.

Kayla - Yes... Do you want to come with me? I think we both need a break from this place.

Conan - You can say that again.

Kayla - Thank you. I don't want to go alone."

Conan - The pleasure is all mine. I get to spend the weekend with my best friend