Five

January 18th, 1964

Tonight was the night when I was going to meet the rest of the group. The show began at seven, but they had to be there for six to set up. The morning brought a day of shopping for me, which I felt bad considering I couldn't pay for anything. Alan told me not to worry, despite spending nearly all his money he got in the past month on me,  and that it wasn't my fault I came into this time period. 

Overall, the experience of shopping was quite the experience. It was great not having to wear a mask around and I made out with a few shirts, makeup, skirts, pants, two pairs of shoes, and a bunch of odds and ends. Along with my phone, my modern clothing was thrown under the bed for no one but the dust to see. 

It was 4:30, and I was currently wondering what I was going to wear. I tried on the four pairs of pants I got and decided on my pair of white and black that were checkered. I got a pair of black Beatle-styled boots which gave me a bit of height. Choosing shirts, I went for a plain white blouse. I never was a nut for makeup, but I ended up getting a small tube of mascara and eye shadow. Slowly putting on the jet black mascara, I made sure not to smudge it everywhere. Once it applied, I decided that I didn't need eye shadow just yet. Taking my hair down from its high ponytail, I brushed it until it became a giant puffball. 

I sighed and ran the brush under water and continued to brush down. The end result was a mixture of curls that wrapped around each other, but leaving my bangs pin straight. I combed my finger through them, allowing the thickness of them to cover my forehead like an mop top. I took off all my bracelets but leaving my gold chain bracelet off. I never took it off no matter what.
I walked out of the bathroom to see Alan shuffling around, holding two different colored ties. 

"Penny!" He said, an relief in his voice escaping. "Wow, you look really nice." 

"Thanks!" I smiled. "Bathroom is all yours!" I plopped down on the couch and began reading the newspaper.

"But wait! What color?" He held up a red and a blue tie. "I don't know what color to wear!" I glanced at both and imagined how both would look on him. 

Red was an classy color, so I told him that. He grinned and ran into the bathroom to get dressed. The newspaper was rather dull. It talked about the snowy weather, but everything was in British English, which was like reading an whole different language. One article did briefly mention that The Beatles were going to head over to New York City on February 7th. It's was crazy to think that was the day where everything took off like a bullet.

About ten minutes later, Alan came out with a grey suit on with the red tie. He looked quite dapper. His bangs were swayed back, almost looking like Elvis's.

"Aren't you looking good Alan!" I teased,  glancing up from the paper. 

Fiddling with one of his rings, he looked at me. "Thanks Penny. Would you mind helping me lift the keyboard into the car?" He pointed to his red Continental Organ in the corner. "It's not that heavy, just rather bulky." 

I nodded and helped him get it into his car. It was a bit of a struggle to get it in the back, but once it was in, it fit snug as a bug.

      We finished getting ready and we got into the car. Eric was picking up Hilton and John and Chas was driving himself. The Club A Go-Go was a twenty minute drive, and we arrived a little but earlier than the others. Parking in the back, Alan and I got his instrument out of the car and made our way to the back door. 

          I was told by Alan that The Animals played here a lot. It was one of their favorite places to preform and to get the audience moving. Even when they became famous, the boys still came back and jammed here. Heck, they even wrote a song about the place.