The Beginning

"Your assignment today is to go to the Maskure Hindalire Ball and kill anyone that has a ring with a red diamond in the middle. You'll both gain 10k each." Silva says to the 2 teens.

(Y/N) and Killua had been assigned a mission. (Y/N)'s parents were partners with Killua's parents and they decided that both of the new heads of their families should partner up for business reasons. It was your 1st mission together, and you guys were insanely quiet. You are both around 12 years old, and assassins.

You start to let your mind wander. What do I say? Should I start a conversation? I don't have a need to talk to him, but we should at least talk about the missio-

"The Maskure Hindalire Ball is located in Yorknew City, about a mile from the auction house. We'd better think of a successful plan so we can just get in and out." Killua had broken the silence.

"That's true. I was thinking that we dance our way in, so nobody suspects us, and I can scan the area to find anyone with the description your father gave us. Then we just kill them all and walk out without being seen." Y/N explained quickly, as they were almost there.

Killua responded with a quick nod, and they sneak into the ballroom.

(After the mission)

"That went better than I planned for." (Y/N) says after a few minutes of finishing the mission with Killua. "I can't believe that I had to help you with the last guy!"

Killua gets all flustered and says "I let you help me! I coulda taken them all on my own anytime I wanted to!"

"Whatever.."

................................................................................................................................

A few weeks later, Killua and (Y/N) had become best friends. Killua trusted (Y/N) enough that he decided to tell them that he was planning on sneaking out to take the hunter exam. (Y/N) protested, telling him how much trouble he would get into. He just responded that he wanted to have some fun for a change!

(Y/N) went with him, to make sure he didn't die. Killua hated to admit it, but he knew you were stronger. You had been through more torture and training than he did, which says something about your parents. Even though they did all that to you, you couldn't seem to hate them. They raised you, and deep down, you knew they loved you.

___________
At the exam
___________

"Killua, I don't see the appeal to this exam. Do you even want to be a hunter?" (Y/N) said, being cautious of everyone around them.

"It's fine! This could be a fun opportunity for BOTH of us! Your so stiff all the time! Loosen up. Relax! Enjoy yourself for once! I heard that this is supposed to be challenging!" Killua reassures (Y/N).

You sigh, as a guy who calls himself Tonpa comes up to you both and offers drinks. You guys accept, knowing beforehand that he laced it with something. Since you guys are immune to poison, it didn't really matter, and the drink was actually really good. (Y/N) finished it in seconds, same with Killua.

A bit later, you two went up to him, asking for some more drinks, when a guy came through a door, asking to follow him, because he was one of the Hunter Examiners. (Y/N) and Killua both took out their skateboards (Killua had taught (Y/N) to skate the same week that they met, and (Y/N) caught on fairly quickly.

(Y/N) POV
................

'Let's get this over with. It's not like we can make friends here. Plus, Killua's the only friend I need. We can understand each other, and can keep secrets together!'

"HOW 'BOUT YOU SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT FOR THE EXAM, THIS IS AN ENDURANCE TEST AFTER ALL!" A man with sideburns and a suit, who looks to be in his late 20's to early 30 says.

"No, it's not."

"The examiner guy said we only had to follow him."

'Could we make friends with him? He looks strong and could be of use.'

Killua and I both nod at each other and skate over to the kid.

"Hey, how old are you?" Killua asks, as you try and analyze the kid. You were always great at that and always got them 90%, more or less.

"Twelve years old" The kid responds.

'I see. He's the same age as us, we should befriend him, so it'll be easier to pass this exam.'
You turn to Killua, knowing he's thinking the same thing.

You both get off your skateboards, Killua adds a little "I think we'll run for a while"

You're happy that Killua could possibly make a friend with this boy. You didn't want to keep him to yourself, but there was a little voice in the back of your head, telling you that you shouldn't let Killua befriend this kid. Of course, you don't listen to your inside voice, for Killua's sake.

KILLUA'S POV
....................
"My name Killua, and this is (Y/N)" I introduce us both, as I know that (Y/N) wouldn't have introduced themselves at all. I didn't like the fact that they seemed like a shadow behind me whenever I would talk to someone. Yea they were trained assassins, but that also meant that they got even less social time than me. At least I could talk to Canary and the others, but they only had their parents, and the butlers there didn't respond to (Y/N) so they wouldn't get punished.

"I'm Gon!" The boy my age said. I looked back at him and smiled. "So how did you do that cool thing with your skateboard?"

"I'll show you when we get outta here!" I respond, giving (Y/N) a little glare, telling them that they need to add to the conversation. I watched (Y/N) crinkle up their nose and sigh.

(Y/N) POV
................
'Why does he want me to add to the conversation I might make things worse, and ruin it for Killua.

"Uh, um... yOU HAve a cool fishing rod.." I say, cringing inside my head.

"Oh, thanks! I really like your skateboard! The colors look really nice, and you look cool when you ride it!" Gon responded while smiling.

I let a little smile loose and thank him for the compliment, and Killua's eyes widen for a second, only to soften. He thinks to himself 'I'm glad they're finally loosening up and making friends. I would've scolded them if they didn't say something sooner.'

________________________________________________________________________________

(1040 words)

This story is also on AO3!

Make sure to comment, and read this story till the end! There will be 10 chapters in the first book.