Chapter XXXVI

~ the crime of love bears no sinner, and there is no redemption for the innocent ~

part two

Athy walked around the Ruby Palace gardens, alone at night, barefooted and without even a shawl to warm her. Because what was the point?

The chill of her skin at least pricks her body enough for her to feel.

Otherwise, she'd have felt nothing at all...

Nine years old, her fourth time. The last two times, she sneaked out on this same night. To see a glimpse of her beloved father. Her father.

"Father..."

Athy sighed. She sat on the open field of grass away from the flowers and looked up at the sky above the Emperor's Palace. How lively, how sparkly...

Then Athy chuckled.

Because as lively and sparkly as it was, her father here surely wouldn't find it pleasant at all. Not him...

"I bet if I died right now, it'd be a gift to him... Or not— he probably doesn't even realize I'm here."

Athy laid her back on the grass and watched the stars directly above her. Tonight, she wouldn't go all the way there to see him.

Because why?

He'd only look at her as if she was a passing insignificance. Heck— maybe he won't even look at her at all. After all, the last time, he didn't like her even just calling him 'father'.

"Pfft— who'd want to be your daughter anyway?"

Athy scoffed. But her heart ached at her own words. Because she would. Still, no matter what, she'd want to be his daughter.

His. That man who lights up like a lightbulb every time she calls him 'papa'. That man who tries so hard to fight the blush on his face because he's a stubborn emperor who likes to maintain his image.

His image that was sooooo far from what he believes it to be. What did they call him in those dreams?

A father-slave.

"Hahaha~ a father-slave, as if. What will he do if he hears that now? He'd probably have me hung or chop my head off right then and there."

Athy said to one in particular. She was just talking to herself. It was a common occurrence, for her to think back on those dreams, those illusions, and compare them to her reality.

A reality that's been so stubborn, it had her relive it three times already.

"Yeah... that's what he'd do."