Chapter 4

“Wouldn’t you want to know why I asked you to come here?” She asked, not even glancing at me, dusting a heavy torn book from the rusty bookshelf. An old library that I did not know we have in my aunt’s apartment. 

“Why?” I asked, still prying at the dimly lit, dusty chamber. Spider nets formed in every nook and crook of the room. When I watched her walking towards the basement, I was shocked as she never allowed us here. But now, when I took in the entire cabin, it felt like a museum with hundreds of ripped books. Too old, dusty, rusty, so much so that the papers would get torn by mere touch.

“Malini couldn’t guide you through this. But I will.” the sudden mention of my mom’s name jabbed into my heart. Unbearable sadness as I recalled the last look she gave me before turning to help my father. 

“Wha... What is it?” I felt my throat sticky. 

“You shouldn’t lose it every time you hear your mom’s name.” She spoke, pointing at my disheveled self. I bowed as I could tell that I looked like shit, but I just couldn’t help it.

“Give me your hand.” She whispered, lifting her right palm towards me. I studied at her hand and then at her eyes. Images of me hugging her tightly flickered in the back of my mind.

 Nodding at her, I placed my palms gently. But not long after, I heard my high-pitched cry. In a nanosecond, I cried with pain. My palm dropped so much blood, but she soon held it tightly, shushing my cry.

“Why- why did you do that?!” I whisper yelled.

“Naina, the ritual-“ she began, and I stared at her as she slowly sliced her palm and put her bleeding hand above mine. I felt a severe irritation and flinched.

“The ritual gives us responsibilities and power to fulfill that.” I nodded as I’ve heard this before. 

“We get united to our spirit animal, they give us the energy that we need to battle with the evil. But-“ she paused again. I collected everything that she said but didn’t get why she had to slice my palm for that. Staring at our connected hands, I asked, “but?”

“But, a dragon is not one of them.” She concluded and my head whipped at her. 

“I saw a dragon. It... It was sad when I was hurt! I felt attached to it. What does that mean?” I inquired as I was so confused about all these things.

“You are one in millions.” She smiled.

“I’m clueless,” I answered. 

“Dear, you are powerful. Powerful than Ammie and even me.” I shook my head as I couldn’t accept that.

“That’s the truth. After the ritual, we all could sense the power you are emitting. It’s harmful to you and us. If we feel it then Utkarsha will also feel it.” My eyes widened as I couldn’t indeed get what’s going on.

“Is it my fault?” I inquired.

“No! Of course not!. We have to conceal your powers until I get you out of Utkarsha’s sight.” She pointed at my now healed palm. The skin was clear, with no single mark of blood visible. It was as if my hand got no cut. 

“What did you do?” I asked, and she smirked. 

“Protect you.” without looking at me, she strode towards the block of books and picked up a rather too rusty one, and handed it to me. Confused, I furrowed my eyebrows and heard her say, “Answer to all your questions.” And walked away from me. I looked at her retrieving figure and sighed. Why do I feel like this journey will not be as thrilling as I’ve expected?

***†****†****†****†*****†****

“He trailed inside a forest, careful not to alert the deer. A smirk on his gorgeous face as he pulled the arrow out of its bag hung behind his back and placed it perfectly on the bow, adjusting it in its place as to directly hit the deer on its heart. 

Slowly, taking tentative steps, he licked his lips and furrowed his eyebrows as his hands held the arrow and the bow ready to take off. Dark forest shone brightly only where the moon was. It was dead silence and his steps couldn’t avoid a twig and soon he was stuck with-“

“Damn, Naina! I’ve been calling you for a long time! What have you been doing?!” Slapping the book hard, I threw it down the bed when I heard Ammie invading my room. My heart beat faster and ragged breath. 

“I. I was sleeping?” Moving my hair away from my face, I tried composing myself. The book was so intriguing that I couldn’t even realize it’s morning. 

“You have dark circles under your eyes. What happened? Are you sick?” I laughed at her and shook my head. “What is the matter?” I inquired, changing the subject to something else. 

“Oh, yeah, mom said we have to take care of something. They found a dark creature invading the city.” I furrowed my brows as they never involved me in any mission. 

“Yeah, yeah, I know that. I asked the same and mom said Utkarsha wants you and me on the mission.” My eyes caught her eye-rolling, and I visioned darkness. Closing my eyes, I sighed. I remembered my mom saying, “You can see the future by looking into people’s eyes. However, if you tell them about it, it will not come to fruition.” The irony of the situation. Why give me such a vision and then make me helpless? 

“Hello! Naina? You there?” I snapped my eyes at Ammie, who climbed on my bed and waved her hands in my face. Swatting her hands away, I smiled. My smile was strained as I knew I couldn’t control what is to happen, but I can try. 

Taking a deep audible breath, I said, “I know where to find that creature. Give me ten minutes.” And rushed towards the washroom to freshen up without giving her time to react.

**†***†**

❤I would be glad if you share, like, and comment about your impressions of this storyline so far. Please hit the star button below if you like it.❤

❤Lots of Love❤