Chapter 15

Naina's POV:

Breathing in and out continuously, I focused on calming my aunt down. She was wheezing with pain, controlling her spirit animal as she triggered it as well. She never mentioned it, but her spirit animal was a wolf. A dire wolf. Ammie always bragged about it, as she was lucky to glimpse it when they were at war.

"How can you be so careless?" It disturbed my thoughts when my aunt's blazing voice entered my ears. Holding the glass of water that I brought for her, I stared curiously at Ammie as it seemed to me as if being in love was a crime.

"It just happened, mom! Just the way it happened between you and dad!" Ammie restlessly marched from one corner to the other, throwing her hands in the air with frustration. Poor David looked at her with so much sadness, as if he knew what they were even talking about. I was the only person who knew nothing.

"Can anyone tell me what's exactly going on?" I asked, but was met with silence.

"I also am part of your life. I need to know." I urged Ammie to place my hands on hers, but she threw it away.

"Showing your anger at Naina wouldn't solve the situation. You risked his life!" My aunt shouted at her, making me flinch.

"Mrs. Andrew, I knew the risk, and I was ready to take it." David chimed in and my aunt glared at him with such an intensity that it would melt ice. Poor David scrunched back on the sofa and zipped his mouth.

"We aren't allowed to love!" Ammie looked at me with pain in her eyes and I sucked in a deep breath.

"Why?" Cluelessly I looked at both of them to clear the confusion, but none made eye contact. My nerves were so on fire after what my aunt's eyes showed me. I needed to know the truth. I had to save them.

"Our bloodline is cursed to never be happy with loved ones. One of them always dies and so did my father."

"No." I heard my voice cracking after knowing the truth. I looked at my aunt expecting her to tell me it's a lie but the pain in her eyes answered all my questions.

''But why?!" Clutching my pants tightly to hold on to my last piece of patience, I pried further.

"It's in the past. Ammie knew the result and after today's attack, I'm sure that Utkarsha knows about it and she'd not let them live."

"You took me to her, right? Isn't she our queen? Why'd she hurt her people?" I knew she didn't seem like she pretended, but all these things made little sense.

"Go now." My aunt chose not to answer me, making my blood boil. But watching how restless she was, I hid my curious questions and focused on the people in the living room.

"You can never run from her mom," Ammie said through gritted teeth.

"We can always try. Or else you both have to break up." She said.

"We can't." Ammie and David said at once. Shocked as I never saw Ammie disrespecting my aunt and today she crossed her limits worried me.

"Why not?" She asked. Taking slow steps towards Ammie. Her posture rigid but her hands were shaking. Confused by what she was up to, I trailed behind her, and David followed suit, soon crossing us and holding Ammie's hands tighter.

"You are pregnant." My aunt said, a statement not a question. Placing her hands gently on Ammie's belly, she caressed it. A lone tear trailed down her eyes towards her lips and then neck.

"We were not sure about it, but today we found that out. I'm three months pregnant." Ammie did not deny rather lay all her cards down.

"She must have known after your baby's heart started beating." My aunt said, shaking her head. "You risked so much, Ammie." Her voice trembled because her daughter was in danger. Her eyes showed so much happening, and I was sure that it would happen eventually. Nobody could stop it.