9. A race against time

Saul's pov

It was getting dark outside and I had a little meeting with Ben and Farah. I was a bit nervous, I hadn't seen Farah the whole day but I had felt her everywhere. I wasn't so sure if I wanted to face her, to see her struggling. I arrived in the big hall were we would meet and spotted her immediately. She was wearing her long dark blue coat, of course. But I could still see her close-fit grey dress underneath. It emphasized her curves in a way that was almost irresistible to me. But I kept my thoughts under control since I was no longer alone. Her hair was pinned up in her usual bun and she was leaning over a map. Her tensed body told me that she hadn't noticed me yet, she was too focused on whatever she was doing. I had to lighten the mood a bit.
„So... Today I decided I didn't want to die yet, what did you do today Headmistress?"
She turned around to face me, she looked very tired.
„Congratulations, I'm happy we finally see eye to eye."
She smiled a soft smile that gave me Goosebumps.

Bingo

I came to stand right next to her, now I also recognized the map on the table.
„How are you feeling?"
she asked. I could smell her unobtrusive perfume. It smelled lovely like lavender.
She looked at me with tired eyes, dark circles had formed in the last 24 hours.
„Fine, no need to worry."
I said.
„How are yo-„
„Could you stop?"
She interrupted me. I looked at her a bit surprised.
„Sorry?"
„Could you stop pretending as if everything is ok!"
„I'm not doing that-„
„Yes you are."
„No, I'm not!"
„Well, then at least stop making jokes about it and start to take this seriously. Cause it's not funny!"
She was getting loud. We were standing very close, I could feel her body warmth. We looked at each other with a pained expression till Farah broke the silence.
„I'm sorry Saul, I didn't want to... It's just..."
She looked totally overwhelmed and her cheeks were heated by the conversation.
„It's alright."
„No, really. I'm sorry I-„
„Farah. Don't worry about it, I get it."
She tried to turn away from me but I held her by both arms.
„It's fine, I promise. In fact, I should be the one to apologize, I know how hard this is for you. I'm sorry."
She nodded slowly and stopped trying to turn away from me. I had a need to hug her or to just be closer to her but I resisted. Instead I said
„Had a rough night, he?"
„Yeah, didn't really sleep much..."
„I can see that."
I smiled softly as she blushed, returning the gesture.
„I talked to Sky yesterday, he's worried about you."
I sigh.
„I know, I know. He came to me today, such a good lad. But there is nothing he can do right now..."
„True... I worry about you too, Saul. I should be out there."
She said hesitantly, but that was something I will not discuss with her. She wasn't the only stubborn person in the room.
„Farah, we've talked about this before, you should stay here. The students need you, and also, I'm not that fogged by Bens herbes to let you go without me."
„Ha, first of all I don't need your permission nor do I need a chaperone, thank you very much. Second, there is no chance that I am letting you go with these wounds."
She said with a winning and teasing smile.
„Well, then it's settled, we'll both stay here."
She was about to say something but she closed her mouth again.
I had won this round.
„Fine..."
I chuckled over her frustrated murmur.
She looked at me again and our eyes locked. She was so beautiful, and now that I had lighten her mood, she had a little of that vivid sparkle in her eyes again. I knew it was time to look away but I just couldn't.

I swear to god, someone interrupt us please or imma loose it and go for it!

And in that exact moment Farah's phone started to buzz.

Farah's pov

There it was. That heated gaze of his. I could feel how he was trying to pull away, how he was trying to contain himself but it didn't quit work. A shiver ran down my spine and I felt that I too, had to control myself. I wasn't used to being looked at in that way and I never had felt his... need for more, then now. It was new, scary and akward but I still wanted him to try... to go furtger. The tension in the room was thicker than a wall of stone and I was almost sweating cause of the hot temperature. Suddenly my phone started to buzz and I broke our gaze to answer it. Right in time cause in that same moment the door opened and Ben entered. He had some glasses and a bottle of what seemed like whiskey in his arms.
„Hello?"
I said into the telephone, greeting Ben with a nod. Saul, who was still standing close to me, waved at him and then looked at me again. I could see Ben's playful and slightly teasing smile and my cheeks reddened again.
„Ms. Dowling, it's Marco."
Saul looked at me questioningly.
„Who is it?"
He whispered.
„Marco-„
As soon as I said that, he reached out and took the phone.
„Marco, Silva speaking, give us an update. Are you tracking the Burned One?"
„Put it at least on speaker."
He ignored my request and asked whispering
„He has your number?"
„Yes, I gave it to him so he could keep me updated."
„Ah... did he ask you or-„
„Put the phone on speaker please."
I cut him off but he ignored me.