Chapter 15

Loralie screams out, trying to get up but two men and three nurses hold her back.

"Alex, quick! Stop him! He's leaving with our baby!"

I turn and run out of the room, back after the man that knocked into me. I run without really knowing what is going on, when I bump into Victor. "What's wrong?"

"I have to chase a man down that just came through here," I say trying to push past, but Victor stops me.

"He's long gone now."

"What? And I should give up? Loralie just said he was leaving with our baby!" I snap, ignoring Victor and moving towards the front door.

With one-click of Victor's fingers Lurch, Victor's right-hand man grabs me, stopping me from going after the man. I'm being turned around and shoved after Victor who is storming down the hall.

Victor turns when he gets to the room I left Loralie in and walks over to a hysterical Loralie and slaps her hard across the face. I see the look of hate and disgust on her face as she abruptly stops crying.

"Your behaviour is pathetic. You shame me," he seethes. I wiggle, trying to pull myself free as I watch Victor hit Loralie repeatedly.

"LEAVE HER!" My shouts are nothing to him as he continues.

"Why are you doing this? She is your daughter and she just had your grandchild. How can you treat her that way?" I yell my words as loud as I can and thank God he stops, turning on me.

"She did nothing more than she was supposed to do. Now it is done. Her behavior is atrocious."

"I don't understand. That is my kid and I'll be damned if I let them leave."

"The child is already gone far from here as it was arranged from the beginning."

"What do you mean?"

"That was the deal."

I throw myself forward, pulling myself out of Lurch's grasp, forcing my foot back as hard as I can. I hear a crack and I know I have broken his leg. I run to Loralie, throwing them all off her.

I hold her in my arms, daring any of them to try me. "So then you have what you wanted from us. Now you leave us alone," I boom, forcing them all back with the fury in my voice alone.

Victor laughs, "Oh, no boy. The deal was that your mother raises the child and I... I get you."

My blood boils. "When will it be enough? When will you people stop taking from us? I am leaving with my wife, and you will not follow. You will leave us the fuck alone until we are ready to see you, or you give us back our child."

"I am sorry boy, but that child is already heading out of state as we speak. You will never see that child again, that was –."

"DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT WAS THE DEAL AGAIN!" I yell, not even recognizing the mad man I have become. I am so filled with rage I can't even stand it anymore.

I am so angry I storm past all of them, Loralie still in her white, blood-stained dress. I cradle her protectively and leave quickly, not wanting them to think they can change their minds and come after us.

I know they will. Victor made it quite clear he saw me as his property and from the time I have spent with the man so far, I know what he is capable of. I know I will have a short while he will stay back, but if he has to come after me there will be hell to pay.

He doesn't give a shit if his daughter dies or if his grandchild is snatched away from his flesh and blood, but he cares if I return to his side? This does not sit right with me, and I am going to find out why.