Chapter 22

I'm actually happy Victor chose a very slim brunette with brown eyes, nothing at all like my Loralie. Within an hour of my return, she arrives at the palace that is my prison, along with the young girl Bethany and her little brother Jeremy who all look overwhelmed and frightened.

I greet them at the foot of the grand polished stairs. "Come with me."

They don't argue or say anything as we walk up the stairs and through the many halls.

"This is the east wing. You will be as free as I can keep you here. I will do my best to make sure you have all you desire."

"I just want my Mummy and Daddy," Jeremy says, lightly tugging at my black suit jacket.

I kneel down to be eye to eye with him. "I can't give you that right now but if I can I will. If you want to stay safe and not wind up as some sick rich man's playthings, you would all do well to enjoy your freedom here and not push boundaries. I am just as much a prisoner here as you all are. Remember that when you make choices here and note it's my head on the chopping block along with yours."

They all nod solemnly, realizing what I put on the line for them. "Thank you" Bethany says to me with real gratitude in her blue eyes.

"Don't thank me, Bethany. For each of you that I chose, hundreds more were not chosen and they will suffer unimaginable fates."

"Please call me Beth and I heard what was going to happen to me and I saw what those women went through. That fate was going to be mine and most likely my brother's if you didn't do what you did. You couldn't save everyone but you did save us. You might not think it's worth mentioning but three lives are more than none, and my mum always said a single drop of water raises the sea and a single man can make a difference."

I turn my whole body to look at her. This incredible young girl has more wisdom than most her age. "You are wise beyond your years Beth. I think fanning that talent will do you well." I give her a smile and turn to leave.

"WAIT, STOP!" all three of them yell, running after me.

"What on earth is wrong?" I'm a little shook by the sudden outburst.

"Where are you going? Aren't you staying here with us?" Beth asks.

"I was going back to the west wing. As I said before this section will be all yours with as few people to frighten you."

"But I am supposed to be with you. I am to be your wife very soon and they will want a child as soon as I can conceive one for you."

"I'm sorry but I will keep that as far away as I can. I am not ready for anything like that and I will make Victor see that too. So please just try to enjoy your freedom here. You can call for anything, day or night and it will be brought but remember all requests will go through Victor before they are brought here. I expect nothing of any of you. "I go to use her name when I realize I don't know it. "You, I don't remember getting your name."

"Oh, I'm so sorry we never did discuss that. I just assumed you would give me one."

"What is wrong with your own?" I ask, a little annoyed.

"I'm sorry. We are not trained to take value with anything, especially our original names."

"I'm sorry. I keep forgetting myself. I just want you to choose a name for me to use."

"Holly."

"Holly it is then," I smile.

Okay, great. Now that introductions are over, I turn and leave before they can stop me again.