Chapter 28

This gives all the information one would need to crush both organizations and it did. I'm feeling ambivalent. If this is all true, Loralie is still alive and she loves me, but it could also be the fluff. This E.G. Never needed to make a good story.

I jump slightly when I hear the doorbell ring. Who the fuck is calling here of all places? I get to the security room and see the police are at the front door. Not wanting to lose my place in the book, I walk with my finger inside, marking my place. I take a breath and answer, hoping if they arrest me at least I'll have a book to while away the hours.

Three officers stand before me, dread washing over me. I only hope they will take me and leave Zac and Adam alone.

"Alexander Harlen, I presume?"

"Yes." Wow, that came out way calmer than I thought was possible.

"It is an honour to meet you." All three officers lift their caps in respect.

What the fuck? I am so confused. It obviously shows.

The officer in the front gives a little laugh, "I am sorry. I know you wanted to stay anonymous but without all your help we couldn't have accomplished such a feat. As hushed as we can we wanted to thank you and deliver your papers in person."

I reach my hand out and take the large envelope. Once it is in my hand they all stand to attention and salute me, turn, and leave.

I watch the gates close behind them before I return to the library so confused. Zac and Adam look at me with concern.

"What's got you making a face like that?

"Well he hasn't been arrested so that's a good thing, isn't it?"

They both look at me.

" I just got saluted by a bunch of police officers and given paperwork I requested apparently."

I grab the bookmark and put it in the book so I can put it down, freeing my hands to open the large A4 envelope.

Inside are several documents. First, I pull the deed to my dad's house out. I cannot begin to express how happy I am to have this in my hands. Along with it is a letter.

To Mr Alexander Harlen,

It is with great pride that we close the case of the Harlen and Bright family. Run the organizations with great success.

As discussed, your father's home has been returned. Enclosed is the deed to forteen calem parade fort Maren. Your country and myself wish to thank you for your sacrifices and involvement. Enclosed are the documents outlining the agreement between you and the government.

As discussed, also enclosed are the only files left in existence on you and Mr. Zac James Brathem and Mr. Adam Judas Simons.

These are yours to do with as you please. Once again, I would like to extend my thanks.

Regards,

Judith Whitman

"Oh my god, isn't that the president?"

"Yep, sure is. I don't understand. We have been exonerated from all parts played and given second chances with clean records and given all the credit for something we had nothing to do with. What the fuck is going on?"

Adam and Zac take each of their files and begin to read.

"Holy shit! These guys are thorough. They have the report in here that Ms. Veldan filed when I drove her car into the neighbour's pool."