Chapter 16

"What happened?" James asked them.

Sirius looked at Lily with his eyebrows raised. Telling her that he would let her decide what to say.

"Nothing," Lily insisted. He nit his eyebrows together, not believing her. He looked at Sirius and Sirius volunteered a shrug.

"Seriously," Marlene said. "If it was nothing you wouldn't have hugged him in the Great Hall." She was right, Lily didn't particularly like drawing attention to herself. Everyone looking at her two days in a row while with two different Marauders was not like Lily.

"Seriously nothing," Lily said.

Marlene looked to her boyfriend for the actual answer. Lily knew that Marlene was Sirius' kryptonite.

"This is Lily's thing," Sirius told her and James. He held his hands up in a surrendering pose. "Sorry."

Thank you, Lily mouthed to him. He gave her a small nod in return.

"Are you guys snogging?" Marlene asked worriedly.

Sirius burst into a fit of laughter. "Oh my Merlin!" Lily exclaimed. "No! No we are not! We are just friends!" SHe looked at her boyfriend who seemed a little relieved. "You two don't trust me?" Lily asked the two cousins.

"I trust you," James hurried to say. "I just don't trust him." He nodded to Sirius who was still laughing.

"Marlene?" Lily asked, awaiting her explanation.

"I had to ask," she said. "You would have done the same idf James had gone off after Alice."

"I would not," Lily said. They both knew that that wasn't true, but she wanted to believe it.

"You don't trust me?" Sirius asked James.

"With my life," James said simply. That seemed to be enough for Sirius because his attention pulled back to his breakfast.

Lily narrowed her eyes at James. "What?" he asked.

"You were worried that I was snogging with Sirius," Lily said.

"Marlene asked not me," James said defensively. Lily noted how he didn't address what she had just said.

"You are the only one for me," she promised him. She kissed him with longing in her kiss. She pulled back for air and both of them were out of breath.

"What are we doing today?" she asked.

"Well," James said. "I'm not sure, I usually do my homework on Sunday, but since we did it on Sunday, I guess we can do whatever you want.

"I don't know what I want," Lily said.

"Well, I have some ideas, but none of them are PG," he told her.

"James!" she said surprised at his bluntness." Actually," she said. "There is something that I want to do today."

"What?" he asked her.

"I want to work on the Prefect schedule," she said.

"On our day off?" James complained.

"Yes," Lily said. "So that you can do that thing net week with Remus, Sirius and Peter." She didn't know it then, but this meant a lot to him.

"Really?" he asked.

"Of course," she said.

"But I still have to do the rounds with you," he told her.

"I can do them on my own," she insisted.

"She can do them with Alice," Sirius amended. Apparently he was listening to their conversation.