Chapter 38

Marlene took Alice's advice to heart. It was day four of her not admitting her mistake and everything seemed to be going well. Sirius and Marlene were getting along, politely.

As Lily and Marlene left charms class, Sirius rushed to catch up with them in the hall. "Wait up!" He called.

Lily and Marlene stopped short which made Alice and Remus almost hit into them.

They turned and waited for Sirius to catch up.

"You were right," he said.

"About the exploding snaps?" Lily asked. Only moments early had she told Sirius not to challenge Dumbledore to a game of exploding snaps.

"No," Sirius said. "I was right about that." He stuck an accusatory finger at her. "Not you, Marlene." Lily frowned a little and backed away.

Marlene gave her a look that said stay here, so Lily turned the corner, where she would wait for Marlene. He hit right into James who was eavesdropping.

"Don't eavesdrop," Lily chided.

"What were you about to do?" James challenged. Lily sighed and stood next to her boyfriend.

"What was I right about?" Marlene asked him.

"You broke up with me and that was the right choice, Sirius said. "If you felt like we were casual fucks you were probably right. As you know I'm not that great at relationships. I think that this was by far my best one. I'm sorry you didn't feel the same," he said. Marlene stared at him blankly.

" I guess I want to say that there are zero hard feelings." Sirius concluded.

Lily looked over at James. He looked proud, "What did you do?" Lily whispered, hissed.

"Well I have him this really inspiring pep talk about how Marlene had gotten over him, so he should get over her," James said, obviously proud of himself.

"James!" Lily exclaimed. She hit him on the arm, "You idiot!"

"I'm sure you're right, but why?" James asked, flustered.

"Marlene regretted her decision, she was going to tell him at the end of the week!" Lily's tone was hushed, but they felt the annoyance in her tone.

"Why would she do that?" James whispered back.

"It's all psychological," Lily explained as though it was obvious.

"That is ridiculous," James insisted. The pair walked away from their friends, feeling that Marlene and Sirius' conversation was not meant for their ears. "Have you done that psycho thing to me?" James asked her.

"What?" Lily asked. It had been a few quiet moments and Lily had been lost in thought.

"That psycho thing that you were saying Marlene was doing to Sirius," James reminded her. "Have you done it to me?"

"Of course," Lily told him with a shrug. James looked over at her and Lily smiled at him sweetly. "Everyone does it, it's not purposeful really it's just human nature."

"Explain this to me," James said it was less of a command and more of a request so Lily obliged.

"It could be like keeping a secret from someone, or changing the way you look and waiting for someone to say something, or just giving someone the silent treatment to see how they would react."

James looks at her more closely as though making sure she hasn't changed her appearance. "You've done it to me before," Lily told him.

"Have not," James insisted.

"Have too," Lily argued. "You kept a secret and kept doing shady things when I was around."

It took James a moment before he realized that she was talking about his furry little secret. "Well I don't intend for you to find out," James said.

"I guess not but you still could have been more subtle," Lily insisted.

"Well you aren't very good at the psychological thing," James said.

"I know," Lily said with a shrug. "It's quite frankly not something that I feel I have to exceed at." There was a pause in which James thought about this. "The longest secret that I have ever kept from you was maybe six weeks," Lily told him.

He smirked at the reminder. "Shut up," Lily said even though he hadn't said anything.

They got back to the common room and Alice was already there. "Hey Ali," James said, only he could get away with calling her by a nickname, Lily suspected that it was from a bet long ago.

"Hi Alice," Lily said as she placed her books on their long table. James hopped over the couch throwing his books on the floor beside him.

"Hello," Alice said. She was clutching a piece of paper in her hand. "You changed the Hogsmead weekend," she said. It wasn't a question, it was a fact.

"I haven't the faintest clue what you are talking about," James said. In truth he hadn't the faintest clue what Alice was talking about, but Lily did.

"Had to," she said with a shrug.

"Why?" Alice asked.

"Dunno," Lily lied. "Something for the teachers I suppose."

Alice was unfortunately one of their more observant friends. "Well," Alice said. "The date changed from two weekends from now to this weekend, tomorrow."

"Yes Alice I know that," Lily said, taking a seat on the opposite side of the couch from James.

"Hmm," Alice said, biting her lip.

"It's my anniversary with Frank," Alice said as though ripping off a bandage.

"Congrats," James said.

"Thank you," she said as if brushing it off.

"You're welcome," James said, excusing himself because this obviously did not include him.

"Is Frank coming?" Alice asked as though if she said it too loudly it would not be true.

"I haven't the faintest idea," Lily said, making eye contact with her. She usually didn't like lying but she wanted to see Alice's face when he was waiting for her.

"Well he can't have changed the hogsmeade weekend by himself " Alice said, taking herself down.

He could with my help, Lily thought.

"Well can you just tell me what to wear tomorrow?" Alice asked her. It was almost time for dinner, and Lily was considering the question. If she told Alice to dress too skimpy she would know that Frank was coming, but if she was indifferent or told her to wear a sweater or something baggy she would think that Frank wasn't coming and she might dress like a hobo.

"A cropped sweater and some jeans or something," Lily said with a shrug. Alice narrowed her eyes at Lily, but nodded her head.

"Okay," Alice conceded. "I'll see you guys at dinner."

"Okay," Lily said. She waved goodbye as Alice left the room.

"What did you do?" James asked her as soon as the door closed.

"Nothing," Lily insisted. She got up from the couch and walked over to James. "I'm gonna go do my homework," she told him. She kissed him on the cheek and walked upstairs. 

Hey people. idk what to say because i just said a bunch of stuff at the end of the last ones. But I am still super thankful for all of your support and votes and comments. xoxo -Anne