Chapter 23

They left Platform 9 ¾ and started walking back to the Evans' car. "I cannot believe that you just invited three more vulgar people into our home for tea!" Petunia practically screeched when they had all piled into the car.

"Petunia," her mother scolded. "That is no way to talk."

Petunia scoffed, but did not retort.

"Have you decided on a date for your wedding yet?" Lily asked Petunia. Her mother had written her saying at Petunia had gotten engaged to Vernon the walrus. Lily wasn't a fan of her sister's fiancee, but she did want her sister to be happy regardless of what her sister wanted for her.

"We are getting married on Christmas Eve's day," Petunia said professionally.

"Wow," Lily said in befuddlement. "That's wonderful."

Lily had known that her sister wouldn't stay engaged for long. In fact Petunia was most likely going to drop out of university and become a housewife. Lily knew that Petunia could be so much more, but there was no arguing.

"Thank you," she said curtly. She moved a pinch closer to Lily in the backseat.

They arrived at the Evans's house and Lily's father helped her carry her trunk upstairs. Lily curled a fallen piece of hair back into her bun. Petunia and Rose started making tea while Lily and her father came back downstairs. The doorbell rang and Mrs. Evans called to Mr. Evans "Can you get the door honey?"

Lily raced past her father who had just stood up from the kitchen table. "I'll get it! I'll get it!" she called. Lily ran into the closed in foyer. She opened the front door and saw her friends standing on her front porch. They were wearing muggle clothes which Lily was more than thankful for.

"Hi," she said.

She was met by a small chorus of hellos. "Hey you guys have to check yourselves," Lily told them.

"What?" Sirius asked, voicing her friend's confusion.

"Okay," Lily said. "As Marlene knows, my sister is going to say some pretty insensitive stuff. I know how each one of you acts protectively over me, but I can deal okay?"

Marlene nodded diligently, but Lily wasn't overly worried about her.

"Sirius?" Lily prompted.

"Fine," he said, not meeting her eyes. She grabbed him by the face so that he was forced to look at her. Nevermind the fact that Lily was several inches shorter than him, she exuded authority. Her eyes met his in a way that made him give up being evasive. "Fine," he said again. Lily raised an eyebrow. "I promise."

She looked over at her boyfriend as she dropped her hands from Sirius's face. "Do I have to-"

"Nope," James said. "I've got it all under control." Lily was slightly suspicious, but she said nothing because her mother had joined them at the door.

"Oh do come in," Rose said happily.

"Thank you," Sirius said politely. He seemed unsure if this was the right thing to say, but Mrs. Evans greeted the sentiment with a smile.

hey. I meant to update again last night, but I got busy. Virtual school died down for a second, so here ya go. This was really short, I'll update some more later. Thank you for the reads and support. xoxo -Anne