3. Ethan

"Ethan! Ethan! Wake up!"
A small girl jumps on top of the bed, next to the sleepy teenage boy.
"Morning Bella. How can I help you?"
"I'm hungry and Mom isn't awake yet."
Ethan sighs and ruffles her ginger curls.
"Guess we'll have to go make some. How do pancakes sound?"
Isabella grins and leaps off the bed.
"Go get dressed and I'll make it in a little bit."
She races off to her bedroom with excitement to change. He smiles and leaves the bed also to look for his outfit and to style his hair, which takes a while.

Ethan checks his phone as his stepsister eats. Hannah.

Hey Ethan. It's Hannah. Lex is hurt. Could you drive us today? Thanks.

He types out a quick response when Bella pipes up.

"Ethan?"

"What's up, Belle of the ball?"

"Can you do my plaits? Mom did them wrong. "

Ethan sighs at the mention of her mother. Nevertheless, he puts on a fake grin and nods. Bella wriggles in front of him so she can watch TV while he works with her hair. Martha Green never was and never will be Ethan's mother and he sticks to that. It still disappoints him that his dad, Tony, doesn't realise that she's such a gold digger. She thrusts her daughter into the mix and sleeps in til noon, meaning Ethan has to get her ready for school and get her breakfast ready. Bella is sweet and he would never turn her away but sometimes it would just be nice to not have the weight on his shoulders. He thinks about the others. If he could be in anyone's shoes, it would be Alice. An only child with the only things she has to deal with being divorced parents and being away from her friends and her girlfriend. At least, she seems fine when she's at her dad's. Ethan finishes the braid, pins it to Bella's head and stands back up. He can't be Alice. That is something that will never happen. Something that will happen, however, is Bella being late for school if they don't leave soon. Ethan grabs the keys to his old car and moves the booster seat to the back. Bella jumps onto it, Ethan slides into the driver's seat and the engine purrs with life as the car rolls out, onto the road.