Chapter 4

"Sure, I'll come." I say non-confidently.
"Ok! It has a colorful theme. Usually girls splatter themselves with neon paint and wear bright clothes. Make sure you do that!" Nicole nods. Her and her friends laugh, though I'm not quite sure why. The bus pulls up, and I am the first one to walk in it. I ended up sitting alone this time, looking at the houses and trees as we drive by. When we got to my house, the bus driver, Donna, yells out "113 Lakewood Court!"
"That's me!" I yell out as I quickly gather my things together and shuffle off the bus. Before the bus doors close behind me, I hear Nicole's voice.
"See you tonight, Emily!" She says. I smile and nod as the bus pulls away. I ring the doorbell and my dad opens the door.
"Hey kiddo!" He says cheerfully as he hugs me tightly. "How was your first day?" He asks as he picks up Olivia.
"Pretty good." I say gladly.
"Do you have homework?" My dad asks as he fiddles around with Olivia's binkie.
"I have none." I say, relieved.
"Good! Then, you can come with us out to dinner tonight!" My dad cheers.
"Well, I have a football game to go to tonight at 7!" I say exuberantly. "The theme is colorful, and a girl at my school said that the girls splatter themselves with paint and wear bright clothes!"
"Oh! Ok then, I think we have some paint in the garage." My dad says as he puts Olivia down. He goes out the door into the garage and my mom comes in the door. She spots me and her face lights up with glee. I don't think I've seen her any happier.
"Em! How was your first day at school?" My mom asks as she runs up and hugs me.
"Great!" I say. Then, my dad comes in the house with a big moving box.
"Ok, the label says that this box contains arts & crafts things. Have fun!" My dad says as he places it down in the center of our family room. A few hours go by of pampering myself, and I look super cute if I do say so myself.
"Oh my goodness Emily you look so cute!" My mom shrieks with glee. She snaps a picture of me with her silver camera.
I climb in my moms black Honda, and we drive to the field.
"Goodbye honey! I'll wait here in the car, where it's warm. Just hop back in here when the game is over." My mom says with a huge grin on her face. "Ok! See you later Mom! Bye!" I say as I shut the car door behind me. When I arrive, I see nobody wearing bright clothing. Everyone was dressed normal! Did Nicole trick me? At this point, the whole cheerleading team was laughing at me, along with everyone else in the stands. I could have never been more embarrassed in my whole life! Suddenly, Nicole pops out of nowhere.
"Now you know to STAY AWAY from my boyfriend, you idiot!" Nicole laughs as she walks away. My eyes start to fill up with tears. I run away and yank open the car door and sob.
"Emily, what's wrong?" My mom asks with concern.
"Nicole! She's wrong!" I say as I dig my face in my hands.
"What did this brat do?" My mom starts to sound angry.
"Well, she tricked me! This game is just a normal Friday night football game. It has no theme! She made me look so dumb out there!" I sob.
"Oh my gosh Em, I'm going to have a talk with her parents later. I will find their number in the town's yellow pages. What is her last name?"
"Paterson." I cry.
"Well, that was not right of her at all. How about we go home, shower up, grab some dinner, and get some ice cream instead of sitting out here in the cold?" My mom comforts.
"That would be nice." I say. My mom pulls out of the parking lot, and we drive home. I immediately text Claire and Tara.
Tara- OMG she seriously did that to you?!?!?!?
Claire- Don't worry Em, we will take care of her.
Tara- We told you she would get revenge on you!
Claire- Yeah, Nicole's a huge idiot.
Tara- Yeah.
I shut my phone off, as my mom parked in our driveway. As I walked inside my house, I quickly take a nice shower, dry my hair, and get ready for dinner.
My dad takes us all to a little pizzeria in North Oak. My Mom, Dad and I decide to split a small pepperoni pizza, and Olivia and Paige order macaroni and cheese. After dinner, we go to Dairy Queen for some ice cream. I got some chocolate ice cream in a come with rainbow sprinkles, my mom got a hot fudge sundae, and my dad got a vanilla milkshake. Olivia and Paige got Cotten candy ice cream in tiny cups. When we drive back home, I slip on an oversized t-shirt I got from a concert I went to last year, and a pair of sweatpants. I lie down in bed as I drift off to sleep.