Chapter 11

"Are you sure?" I ask Hunter. He's never been like this before. "You two looked pretty happy to see each other." I say, hoping Hunter would respond. He ignored me. Pretty soon, Mr. Maul takes attendance and the announcements come on. All of a sudden, I hear Nicole's voice blare over the loudspeaker.
"Hey boys and girls! Nicole here." I see Hunter turn around to look at the loudspeaker, as if Nicole is interesting or something.
"I just wanted to announce that there is a football pep rally tonight at 6:30 sharp!" She really emphasizes "sharp".
"I want you all to be there. After the pep rally, there will be a pasta dinner! The entry fee is $2, and all proceeds will go towards North Oak Hospital's Cancer Fundraiser." I see Hunter begin to smile as the announcements end. Why is he acting so rude? I suddenly think of Isaac. Is he mad at me for talking to him this morning? I finally get enough courage to ask him what's the matter.
"Hunter, why are you acting like this?" I start, hoping that he won't ignore me this time.
"Nothing." Hunter replies nonchalantly. His attitude absolutely infuriates me. Instead of spilling all of my emotions out of my mouth, I try to change the subject.
"So, are you going to the pep rally tonight?" I ask, apprehensively.
"Yeah." Hunter replies. He may be tired or something. He was pretty nice to me at the bus stop.
"Are you playing in the game?" I ask him.
"Yeah, I'm the quarterback duh!" He scoffs. This isn't like Hunter. This isn't like him at all. Then, my thoughts accidentally turn into words.
"Why are you being so rude to me?" I yell. The room goes quiet, and I'm pretty sure everyone is staring at me. I sink deep into my chair while my face changes into a bright red. I'm praying that people will start talking again, but that isn't seeming to work. Everyone's eyes are just glued to Hunter and I. Breaking the ice, Mr. Maul dismisses us.
"Have a wonderful day, ladies and gentlemen!" I scurry out of that room as fast as I could, hoping people won't stop to talk to me. As I enter the hallway, I see Isaac walking. I quickly catch up to him.
"Boo!" I yell as I scare him. He turns around quickly and laughs.
"Look who we have here!" He says, still giggling. I giggle along with him.
"So, are you going to the pep rally tonight?" I ask, hoping he will say yes.
"Sorry, I can't." Isaac replies.
"Why?" I ask, worried that he just doesn't want to see me.
"Uh... Well..... Are you going?" He asks with a desperate look on his face.
"I guess so." I shrug.
"Okay I'll go." Isaac replies, nodding his head.
"Ok! Cool! Haha!" I smile. "Do you want to carpool?" I ask him.
"Sure!" He says excitedly.
"Ok, where do you live? My Dad can drive us." I ask.
"144 Palm Road." Isaac responds.
"Ok! Since it starts at 6:30, what time do you think I should pick you up?" I ask.
"Maybe around 6:20 or something." He says as he starts to walk away from me, into his classroom.
"Bye Em!" He shouts.
"Bye Isaac!" I yell back as I head into the math room. I take a seat next to Claire and we talk all period long until it is time to leave.
"Ok kids, don't forget your homework!" Our teacher yells as we file out of the crowded room.
The rest of the morning goes by like a breeze. Lunch and the afternoon does too. Finally, it's dismissal time. When the bus drops me off home, I knock on our white front door until Dad lets me in.
"Hey kiddo!" My Dad says as he hugs me. "What's up?"
"Nothing much. Hey, can you please drive a friend and I to a pep rally at 6:20 tonight?" I ask my Dad, practically begging him.
"Ok, but you have to finish your homework!" My Dad assures me as he walks off to take care of Olivia and Paige.
"Ok!" I say as I walk down the hallway. When I get to my room, I find my door closed. That's weird. I don't think I closed it this morning. I shrug and walk in. Suddenly, a small German Shepard runs up to me and starts jumping all over me! It must be Starburst!
"Starburst!" I yell as I hug him. My Dad comes rushing in with a camera in his hands and starts snapping pictures of Starburst and I.
"Thanks so so much!" I tell my Dad as I hug him.
"No problem! I thought that this was a fun little way to surprise you." He tells me. I nod and keep hugging and playing with Starburst. I quickly get done with my homework and wait for 6:20 to come, so we can pick Isaac up. When it is about 6:15, I hop into my Dad's car and head to Isaac's house.
"Who is this friend of yours?" My Dad asks.
"His name is Isaac. He's really nice, don't worry." I assure him.
"Aren't you dating someone?" My Dad asks.
"Dad, we're not dating, we're JUST friends!" I laugh.
"Ok, whatever you say, where does he live?" My Dad laughs. I roll my eyes jokingly.
"144 Palm Road." I tell him.
"Oh, ok!" My Dad says. I realize that we are coincidentally just approaching it, so we pull down Palm Road and Stop at Isaac's house. He lives in a big white house with steps leading up to a spacious front porch. I ring his doorbell and wait a few seconds. A grown women with short, light brown hair which I'm guessing is his Mom opens the door.
"Hello!" She says jubilantly.
"Hi. I'm looking for Isaac." I say. "I'm Emily."
"Oh, Emily! It's nice to meet you, I'm Isaac's mom, Mrs. Brooks. You can call me Debbie. Isaac's told me all about you!" Debbie says. Isaac's been talking about me? Awe.
"Isaac, Emily's here!" She shouts into their house. Her voice echoes through the house as I see Isaac coming down the stairs with something in his hands. Debbie says the classic "Have fun kids!" and disappears into the large house. It's just Isaac and I on his porch. He hands me a few pieces of candy and a card.
"Aw, Isaac, you didn't have to do this!" I say. He shrugs and I open the card. It reads:
Dear Emily,
Thank you so much for being my friend. Your an amazing girl. I overheard you saying that you like Chocolate, so I got you this.
Love,
Isaac"
I hug him and we get into the car. I offer to split the candy with him, but he refused. I wonder if this was why Hunter was mad at me, for hanging out with Isaac. If that might be the reason, that's still no excuse for treating me like a piece of garbage. So Isaac and I sit there, looking out our own windows, getting lost in our thoughts.

Authors Note- Thank you for reading Chapter 11 of my book! Wow, sorry that this one was so long! Like Emily said, I guess I was lost in the story. ( I re-worded that a little bit haha) Anyways, why do you think Hunter was being so rude? And what do you think of Isaac giving those gifts to Emily? Thanks again for all the support, it means so much to me!