Separating the Wheat From the Chaff

A/N: There will be a few deviations from the canon of the show. I made a few changes based on what I think really would have happened.

"Today you'll all be taking a quirk assessment test."

"A quirk assessment test?!" most of the students shouted back.

Ochaco asked why they weren't doing something simple like an icebreaker game, and Izuku was willing to bet others were wondering the same thing. Except Bakugo. He was probably ready to shout out about his lack of a quirk.

"Training to be heroes shouldn't involve such luxurious activities. That's what makes UA different; we don't take the beaten path. We forge a new path with every class. Now, you should remember taking physical assessments in junior high where you were not allowed to use your quirks," the teacher stated, receiving a bunch of nods and agreements from his students.

"Bakugo Katsuki, you had the most villain points. Please step forward," Aizawa requested. Izuku noticed a strange reluctance from his old classmate, yet he did as asked. Aizawa procured a softball from somewhere and handed it to the blonde.

"What was your best throw in junior high?"

"Sixty-seven meters," he replied.

"Okay. Throw the ball, but use your quirk this time."

Bakugo did a few stretches then took a throwing position. 'I'll show everyone that I'm the strongest. Deku must've gotten lucky when he got the most points,' he thought to himself. He used the building anger to leak into his throw which he powered with a blast.

"DIE!" he shouted, and the sphere went flying. The dust in the air was momentarily suspended in the shapes of rings, and a powerful air current formed in the direction of the projectile.

"You will all find the upper limits of your quirks," Aizawa stated as the ball fell. A device in his hand bleeped and he turned it for his students to read.

705.2 meters.

"Wow, almost a full kilometer!" a boy with spikey red hair exclaimed.

"So we can use our quirks? This could be fun!" a floating uniform happily shouted. Many in the class agreed, but Izuku felt somewhat differently. He didn't have a quirk to strut, and his raw physical abilities alone may not be impressive compared to what others could do.

"You think this'll be fun?" Aizawa asked in a menacing tone. "What if I tell you I'll expel whoever comes in last?" Silence reigned over the students, but only for a few moments.

"But it's only the first day of school! That's not fair!" Ochaco whined. Iida seemed to take it more seriously, and the rest of his classmates were all somewhere in between the two. Now Izuku was starting to get somewhat worried.

"In this world, there is so much that's out of your control. Natural disasters, accidents, villain attacks, all of them happen at random. Would you rather send someone who barely passed or someone who more than passed, even if both were at the bottom in their circumstances?"

No one answered his question, which was an answer in and of itself.

"Good. Let's get started," he tiredly instructed.

The first test was a fifty-meter dash. Iida and a girl named Tsuyu Asui were the first to go. Right off the bat Iida set an unbreakable time of 3.04 seconds. While not as fast, there were several impressive times. Izuku went at the same time as Katsuki, because of course that's who he'd get paired up against. Bakugo used his explosions with his palms facing backwards to achieve an impressive time of 4.13 seconds. Izuku wasn't too far behind, finishing in 6.14 seconds.