A Question of Loyalty

Ali sat on a log at the edge of camp, staring at Mason's sword. Her face reflected in the blade, staring back at her. She didn't recognize herself. The ponytail, the cold gaze, the rings under her eyes - this wasn't her.

The hilt shifted in her loose grip and the blade drooped to the ground, shattering her reflection. Instead, she saw the moon shining in the blade.

She sucked in a breath and tilted her face towards the sky. "You did this." Her voice broke over her words. "You made me." She clenched her quivering hand into a fist and closed her eyes.

"Am I interrupting something?" The deep familiar voice made Ali's heart stop.

She turned to face a cloaked figure, but she knew who was under the hood. "What are you doing here, Morpheus?"

He sighed. "The only thing I'm good for, apparently. Putting people to sleep."

Ali raised an eyebrow. "I though his goal was to wipe out the mortals."

"It is." She could hear the god of dreams smirking beneath his shroud. "He just needs them out of the way for the coming battle. I'm the easiest way."

"What are you going to do?" Ali mocked. "Talk them to sleep?"

Morpheus growled. "My aura works like a powerful sedative. My only question is, why isn't it working on you?"

"After everything we've been through," she countered, "do you really have to ask?"

He chuckled. "I suppose I'm not really surprised." He tossed back his hood, revealing his neatly styled red hair and dark eyes. He smiled menacingly at her. "Speaking of, it's ironic I find you here. I told you you'd help me."

Ali glared into his almost black eyes. "That's why you took the form the Kronos. You were working for him even back then."

Morpheus raised his hands in mock innocence. "Guilty as charged."

She forced herself to hide her anger. "So, how'd you escape your brother?"

He smirked at the thought. "It wasn't difficult. Phantasus is kept plenty busy doing his and my jobs. I escaped months ago, but Kronos wasn't ready for me to join the game yet."

Ali glared the the god of dreams. All her problems had started with him. Now, they were on the same side. Was she really willing to work with him?

Before she could decide, Kronos called him away.

She watched him leave. Maybe she'd lost it - to think that it was okay to help that psychopath, but it was too late. She'd come too far to stop now.
* * *
"Are you ready for this?" Aubrey's voice drew Ali from her thoughts.

She stood at the precipice of a short outcropping, looking out on the city of Manhattan. Kronos had formed a bubble of frozen time around the city and Morpheus had put the occupants to sleep.

Ali turned to face Aubrey. "We're about to go to war. I don't think any of us are ready."

Aubrey glanced over her shoulder at the large central tent of the camp. "He is."

Ali sighed. "He always is." She faced the city, hands in the pockets of her gray hoodie. "Aubrey, have you ever questioned what we're doing here?"

Aubrey brushed her short red hair behind her ear. "Of course." She shrugged. "We all have at one point or another." She surveyed Manhattan as if imagining the battle to come. "But... at some point, we all have to decide what our priorities are, who our allies are, what we're willing to do. So..." She met Ali's gaze. "Ali, what are you fighting for?"

Ali didn't answer. She shuddered when she realized she couldn't.

Aubrey took a deep breath and turned to leave. "If you need me, I'll be in the Med tent." She ran her hand awkwardly along the strap of her satchel and walked away.

Ali focused on the Empire State Building, a spire of metal and windows among the quiet city. The silence was unnatural. What was she fighting for? And, more importantly, who was she fighting against?
                                      *   *   *
Ali marched among the half-bloods and monsters. Of all the futures she'd imagined, Ali never thought she'd be here. She clutched a black bow in her left hand. The strap of her quiver squeezed her chest and her sword bounced against her side. Her knife was sheathed on her thigh.

Aubrey walked nearby with her satchel stuffed full and slung over her shoulder. She also had a bow and quiver strapped to her back. Her expression was solemn and unreadable, but Ali could see an angry fire in her eyes. Ali wondered what the gods had done to earn Aubrey's rage.

All too soon, the monstrous army had reached the edge of Manhattan. They waited for Kronos' order at the edge of a bridge.

Ali was lost in the chaos as they charged forward. Arrows rained down and golden dust rippled through the air.

Aubrey darted around through the hectic scene, tending to the wounded half-bloods. Her hair was tied back in a sprig of red hair no longer than a bunny tail. She knelt beside a boy and yanked a canteen of nectar from her bag, humming as she poured the liquid over his wound.

A vengeful war cry drew Ali's attention back to the battle at-hand. The campers had fallen back, the archers had ceased fire, and Kronos was leading his forces forward.

There was a single figure walking towards the army of monsters, sword clenched in a quivering fist. His hair was messy and his shirt was torn. His eyes burned with a fierce light.

"No." Ali breathed, watching helplessly as Percy approached the Titan lord. What was he doing? Did he have a death wish? Soon, he was surrounded and the monsters closed in.

Ali pushed through the crowd, fighting to reach him in time. She heard Kronos say something like "that's not my job." Suddenly, the crowd parted and Ali had a clear path to Percy.

They locked eyes. She could see a million thought swirling through his mind, none of them good.

Steeling herself, she forced herself to walk forward. She paused at the edge of the circle and shot Kronos a stern glare.

He nodded.

She dropped her bow and unsheathed her knife. "I'm sorry."

A/N
We're getting into the attack on Manhattan. Yay! We are almost done. I have mixed feelings. I'm excited to finish the story, but I'm also sad that it'll be done.
Anyway, if you ship Percy and Ali I created a story of random Pliana stuff. It's basically a place for you to express your feelings towards the ship and fangirl if you need to. 😅
Until next time,
Cheshire