1. Castle

I've never been one to consider love as motivation. Life just had a way of taking things that I loved away from me. Pain and grief was all too familiar.

So when I finally found love again, it knocked me off my feet. It only made sense that I found myself joining the Scout Regiment to be close to the man I loved.

My life of pain and sorrow finally felt like it had purpose. Motivation finally came to me.

But at what cost...?

———

Being in the military gave me a new sense of "family". Something I hadn't experienced in a long while. I have only been in the military for a couple of years now, particularly in the Scout Regiment, studying medicine and being a field-medic for immediate assistance to injured soldiers during missions. On top of my duties, I assist my Squad Leader, Hange, in experiments for Titan-related injuries. While we haven't found much information yet, given that most of the victims were eaten, it's still nice knowing I'm giving back in some way.

"Hey, Emily...? You awake back there?" Hange asked me, noticing my horse had fallen behind her at some point.

"Oh- yeah. Sorry. Just thinking." I replied.

Hange and I were on a trek to the old Scout headquarters. A remote castle in the outskirts of Wall Rose. Recently, a Titan-shifter by the name of Eren came into the Scouts' custody. Trost district was attacked by the Colossal Titan and with the help of his new-found powers, he was able to close the hole that threatened the city. Eren was assigned to the Special Ops Squad, also known as 'Squad Levi', who were now residing in the castle for safety purposes. Hange has been salivating at the mouth to get her hands on him for research.

Night was beginning to meet us as the sky turned a beautiful orange color. We had been traveling by horse for a while now. Long trips are definitely tiring, and I'm just aching to be able to relax for a bit.

"It shouldn't be much longer. Ooh, I can't wait to ask him so many questions!" She exclaimed, rather loudly. Hange was always an excitable person. I couldn't help but smile at her enthusiasm.

"Maybe you should wait until morning. The poor kid has probably been put through the ringer enough for a day," I said, keeping my smile.

"What?! I've been waiting long enough as it is!" She gasped, acting as if she were offended at my suggestion.

"He is with Captain Levi, after all..." I added.

"Oh, that grump. He's harmless," she flicked her wrist, pushing the air at her side. I could only raise my eyebrows with a sheepish grin, shrugging off her selected description of the Captain.